Is it Possible to Import a Word Doc?

I have a bunch of notes in Microsoft Word format. Is it possible to import these and have the format remain the same? I just started using version 12 and the General Note tool is quite a bit different from early versions and I don't have the time to learn how to use it. I need a quick and easy solution (don't we all!?).

Thanks

You can import Word text with pretty well all the formatting intact including indents, bullets tabs etc) by simply starting a text field and pasting inside that.

The text wrap (carriage returns) will extend to the default text field width, and can then be altered to suit afterwards. However, after editing the text box, tabs and indents will be lost. Aside from that it's all good.

HTH

Oh boy, one of my pet peeves with this program. Formatting typically holds with a Mac, doesn't with Windows. To retain formatting, having to print to another file type (pdf or otherwise) is cumbersome at best, insane most of the time. What happens when you need to change the text, especially when there's a lot of it? Why if NNA is willing to align itself with Adobe, can it not do so with Microsoft? Again, other programs (Archicad, InDesign, Quark, etc) all will link directly to Word. Change the text, it updates in the application. With the acquisition of Archicad, this seems like the logical next step for Nemetschek.

Again, other programs (Archicad, InDesign, Quark, etc) all will link directly to Word. Change the text, it updates in the application.

Interesting. For desktop publishing programs, this is bread and butter. I had no idea that ArchiCAD can do this, too.

Word's file format is not exactly easy, though. "Fast Saves" (all modifications are appended to the file), comments, versions & editing by user etc. can't be easy to reverse-engineer. (Microsoft is not exactly famous for being cooperative: the EU seems to fine them a few million euros on a monthly basis for not providing details of their systems.)

Petri:

I may have misspoken. In Archicad 7, you could hot link to Excel, which was great for adding specifications to your documents. I'm not sure if the current version will bring in Word docs or not. Since the worksheet and text capablilities of Vectorworks are so rudementary, under-developed and immature when it comes to dealing with large amounts of text and its formatting, I would be all for linking to some other software, even if it were not a Microsoft product. With a relationship now established with Adobe, and that NNA now owns Archicad, don't you think we could get a little help here?

OK so I stand corrected, but its still Nemetschek. And the issue is that text and specifically the handling of specifications, general notes, etc is not mature in the program. Since the 256 character cell limit handcuffs an architect, there should be an option to look outside of the program for help, espeically when there are programs out there that do a much better job at this task. I would gladly pay more for the software if this were an option as it would save huge amounts of time and money.