Mass Class Renaming

Thank You,

that was somewhat helpful, but it renamed ALL the classes in the drawing including all the ones I created. It was better to rename by handful rather than the other hundreds.

It would still be a useful tool to batch rename, or drag and drop.

Have you looked at using Merge Classes and Layers?

You can move mass amounts of classes to a single class (new or existing) and get rid of the classes at the same time.

Another approach would be to select the classes you want to "merge" and simply delete the class itself. When you delete the class and VW notices objects exist in the class, you will be prompted asking you if you want to move the existing items to a specific class or simply delete those objects AND the class.

It's on the wishlist Mickey:

Ability to map multiple classes to sub-class

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=73192

Also: Option to reassign classes when importing objects

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=72618

The problem with Class Mapping, as suggested by Katie, is that it's simply not a time-saving method?by any stretch of the imagination?because your map has to include all classes you want to keep.

The problem with deleting and assigning to another class, as suggested by Michael and Katie, is that you can only do it one at time if you want to keep the existing class name as part of your sub-class (otherwise you have to flatten the whole lot into one class), which, again, ensures that it is not a time-saving method.

The fact of the matter is there is currently no automated way to assign a nominated group of classes to a sub-class.

The benefit to using Merge Classes is, that if you are frequently working with the same associate time and time again, you only have to plan the merge once since a merge set can be saved and accessed in other files.

I use the prefix plug-in on surveys. This way I have a single line item of "Survey" in my class list. It still allows me to keep all of the unique class assignments that the surveyor made.

Merge classes is an improvement. However, it would take away the utility of having those unique survey classes.

The benefit to using Merge Classes is, that if you are frequently working with the same associate time and time again, you only have to plan the merge once since a merge set can be saved and accessed in other files.

Not neccesarily. It relies on the associate having consistent template, which is not always the case.

True, and I figured that was implied - but when I reread my post, it's not clear of my thought process there.

In a lot of cases, the associate is using the same template, at least in experiences I've collaborated on and from speaking to a number of customers.

It's not the perfect solution to what was posed, but it is one of many options and each persons' needs differ from instance to instance.

I always like to throw in a bit of extra information (like the use of saving merge classes) because there are all sorts of little bits built into VW - I think the general population isn't aware of most of these little tidbits.

I think there are a few 3rd party plugins that do something closer to the original request.

I'll have to research it at some point, but this week is pretty busy.