VW12.5.1 & Vista 64

It looks like I did a stupid thing....

When I upgraded my computer system two months ago I upgraded to a 64 bit, dual core system, memory, new video etc, all Vista approved. Saturday I picked-up Vista 64 bit and spent all day Sunday installing. Bad news......

No network adapter drivers at all that will work with 64 bit. Linksys says not sure IF they ever will have 64 bit drivers and if so when???? With out my network, no internet. Very first program I tried to load (clean install) was my original VW 12. When I tried to install my VW 12.5 upgrades the install failed, couldn't find internet.

The more research I've done today it looks like the 64 bit Vista is a disaster.

When I called the computer builder this morning to try and exchange the OEM 64 bit for the 32 bit version OEM, they said NO WAY. I'll have to buy a full new version of 32 once it leaves the store even though it comes in an unsealed, open plastic case.

Has anyone actually installed the 64 bit version of Vista and tried to run VW 12.5.1? Does it work and if so better/worse?

Typed a reply and when I posted it apparently timed out and went away....try again

In doing my previous research on Vista it rarely indicated 32 or 64 bit. What I've found since yesterday (Sunday) is that typically references to Vista are 32 bit not 64 and there is a difference. I found devices that are listed as "Vista compatable" only work in 32 bit systems unless specificly stated.

In the link referenced since it just refers to "Vista" I'm not sure if these are for the 32 bit or if VW works the same for 32 or 64 bit.

With that said, I have a few options available and I need to make a decision pretty quick......

A) Bite the bullet and spend another $150 and buy another copy of Vista 32 bit. Install my old "G" wirless network card, 54 mps data transfer rate, poor signal and dropped connecitons.

B) Spend $110 for a Trendnet card that is "supose" to work with 64 bit and "may" be compatable as a replacment for the Linksys (curently Linksys SRX 400 wireless at 104 mps, dual band)

I can do a work-around for some of the driver issues for 64 bit but I don't want to go through the hassles and money and find out VW has issues with Vista 64.

So.........anyone actually tried VW 12.5.1 in Vista 64?

VectorWorks is not a 64 bit application at this time - it's a 32-bit application much like the majority of other software applications out there.

I don't personally think it's worth the switch from 64 to 32 - there's still going to be a driver shortage and some applications may not yet be stable.

It's likely the network card will need to be Vista compatible, period.

We have people running VW with Vista in the office along with other users. A few people have posted their results using Vista - you may want to run a search and see what others have said (and make sure you evaluate what was said by the date stamp - some people have posted while using Vista in the beta stages)