VW 12.51 will not start after low battery shutdown

BSRanch

Question

This is the second time I have had a problem with my laptop and vw on a road trip. I have vw running when my computer shuts down because of low battery. When I try to restart vw I get the windows send error message. Before I had to wait to get home and reinstall vw. I have the 12.5.1 upgrade on this hardrive but when I try to reinstall it tells me my version is up to date. Is there a way I can force it to reinstall? Or some other way to fix this before I get back home. I depend on vw like my cell phone. Do I need to start carrying my installation disk on the road with me? And I know don't let my battery run down but obviously as sage as that advice sounds this is the real world.

2 answers to this question

Rather than fixing the uninstall/installation issue - let's take a look at why this is occurring in the first place.

What is the exact message you receive?

Is VW closed and then you relaunch it, or is it open and this message occurs as it's shutting down.

It is open, the computer shuts down and when I wake it back up after recharging the battery VW won't open. I believe but can not remember in the panic that insues that VW is open but shuts down because of the problem and will not restart.

I did some experimenting while repairing my installation and it appears (although I can't be sure) the workspaces folder or something in it is corrupt.

Although when I open the windows send problem details it looks like a quicktime problem but all that gobbledy-gook is beyond my payscale.

If I get the time I can make it happen I think but finding the time is the problem.