General Import/Export Issues

SLFY

Question

I have worked through most of the kinks with creating an original drawing and exporting into a DWG ? as long as I don?t need to re-import it again. However, I have been trying to work on some drawings from a couple different architecture firms. I have some minor? issues that, if I can?t resolve them, will either prevent me from getting this work, or at the least, not doing the work in the preferred VW. In the hopes that the problem is my ignorance, I would appreciate any help I can get.

Color: Both of these firms still used color based plot styles. Is there a way to import a complete AutoCAD indexed color table? When a drawing is exported into DWG, colors are adjusted to fit the closest ACAD color. When the drawing is re-imported they are adjusted again, and so on. The result is the color can walk through index numbers with each import and export cycle, meaning that objects may plot differently due to the color change. I did adjust a color table to include 100 ACAD colors using the RGB values, but I am not allowed to adjust the complete table, even if I had the time.

Fonts: If I open a DWG in AutoCAD from a firm, fonts are remapped to fonts available on my system. Once I save and resend the file back, the fonts revert back to the original. If, however, I import a DWG into VW, the fonts are remapped and no memory of the original font is retained when I go to re-export? Is there a way to remap fonts to the original?

Link files: The files from the firms contain links to images in their system(logos, maps, etc.) that are not part of the DWG itself. If I open these files in ACAD, the space for the image and the link information is retained, but the space is blank. The file can be saved and resent and will open on there system just as it did when they sent it. If I import that DWG into VW, the link information will be eliminated from the file. Is there a way to retain this information?

Dimensions in viewports: This one gets me the most. If I dimension in a viewport in Vectorworks it gets exported to a DWG as a dimension in a sheet layer - fantastic. However, a dimension in the sheet layer of a DWG gets imported into VW as a group or symbol ? not as a dimension, whether that dimension was originally created in VW or A-CAD. Is this due to something I am doing?

Any help? Or should I transfer this to the ?wish list?.

Also, I still have a problem with a FATAL ERROR when my 2000 dwg exports are opened on a A-CAD 2002 system. If I open in A-CAD ?06 and resave it to a 2000dwg the file size increases slightly and the client has no trouble with the file.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet