Exporting to DWG?

Hi there,

I have a question regarding exporting to DWG. I posted the question over at the Architosh forums and they suggested I try here, Ive done a search and haven't found any help really.

I need to export a VW12.5 Drawing to DWG for printing as I dont have access to a Plotter or Printer that does the A1 size I need.

Everytime I try to do this, the viewports all print as they look before theyre updated. With all the lines showing, and as you can imagine, this is completely unacceptable. I need to print them as hidden line, as any normal drawing should be.

Are there certain export settings I need to check or is there another way of doing this?

Thanks

...I need to export a VW12.5 Drawing to DWG for printing as I dont have access to a Plotter or Printer that does the A1 size I need.
You need to export to DWG so you can send the file to someone who has a plotter but doesn't have VectorWorks? If that's it, why not instead give them the free VectorWorks Viewer so they can print your MCD file from that? Or print to PDF, and send them the PDF file, which they'll already have software for.

...the viewports all print... I need to print them as hidden line...
If you put the viewports in a Class or on a Layer (whichever one is being mapped to Autocad Layers) called "Defpoints", then Autocad won't print them. It automatically makes the Defpoints layer non-print. But it prints anything shown inside the viewport (anything not on Defpoints layer).
...when I convert to PDF, a lot of the lines in the drawing turn grey...
I've never seen that happen. What are you using to print to PDF? I've always used a program called PDF995 (on Windows), and never had the problem you describe. Do those lines print grey? Or just look grey on your monitor with your PDF viewer?

Thanks for the replies.

Im using Mac.

Im creating the PDF's by exporting to PDF. Ive figured out, the grey lines are down to the resolution I choose. I started out by automatically going for 300dpi as I assumed this was the normal print resolution, and as I dropped the resolution, I realised this was causing the 'grey' lines.

The grey lines are actually black, but they are just too thin to display properly until I zoom right in, but they still print as grey at anything above about 72dpi.

What is the optimum resolution for printing to pdf? The balance I found seemed to work was about 60-70dpi.

Or am I still missing something?

Thanks

The large-format printer used by my print service seems to have only one resolution setting at 400dpi. When I sent them PDFs at 300dpi, the dots were spread out to fit 400dpi, making the lines look grey. My solution was to create the PDFs at 600dpi, the next higher option. Now the dots are compressed down to 400dpi, and the lineweights look correct. It would be nice for PDF to have a 400dpi option, so we wouldn't have to waste those extra 200dpi making the file size unnecessarily large.