Creating Symbol from 3D model

mlau

Coverting a building model to a 3D symbol I find that the model layer Z value is lost and all PIOs are moved to the Z value of the new layer the symbol is created on, (all objects are moved to the same plane). I assume this because a symbol can only have a single layer, therefore the PIOs use the symbol layer's Z value.

Does this mean that if I convert a building that has multiple model layers to a 3D symbol that I have to manually specify the Z value of each object in space? Or is there a method to keep the relative Z heights of the objects when converting to a symbol?

Thanks a million, (hours), for any help on this issue.

Not sure exactly what you trying to accomplish by "converting a building model" to a symbol. However I *think* what you may be after is a LAYER LINK which will retain all 3d/Z value data, in addition to being rotateable(sp?), and will automatically "update" when changes are made to the "parent" layer(s).

You can create a symbol of a multi level buiding mlau. What you need to do is transfer all of your 3D information into one layer prior to creating the symbol.

What I did was copy each storey of the building into a new layer. As I pasted each storey in I grouped it so it was a single element and then elevated it as required so that the building was assembled correctly.

I used this technique on a project where the same building unit was used several times on a site at different z heights and orientations. It was a bit of a pain when it came to making changes though. I had to recreate the symbol each time and then re-import it into the 3D site drawing using the option of replace each time.

A simpler and more effective way of doing this (as long as your project is not too large) is to use Layer Linking within the same document.:

- Layer link your required storeys into the site model layer.

- Unlock them and then group them so they are a single entity.

- Duplicate this new entity as required.

- Adjust the elevation and orientation of each duplicate as necessary.

As you make changes each of these 'virtual copies' will update.

Layer Linking is a very effective means of internal referencing within a document. If they could be managed in a similar manner to Viewports can they would be very powerful.

Thank you Peter Cipes and Mike M OZ. I think the layer link is what I need to experiment with. Sounds like Mike has worked through a similar issue to what I am having.

Peter, to be clear about what I am trying to accomplish is that I have multiple duplications of the same building on site. My thought is that I create a symbol of the building, and as we work through the schematic design and the building evolves I only update one building instance, (symbol), and all other instances are then updated automatically.

To make a long story short I want to figure out how to minimise redundant work since we are not ready to detail out each building and reptition is acceptable.

Layer linking can also be used in conjuction with Workgroup Referencing, at least when assembling The Model from bits and pieces.

Actually, I have to test something I'm not quite sure about... Gimme a minute.

Naw. Did not work the other way around: referencing a layer with links can't be done. Not that one could not achieve the same by establishing the links in the receptor file, but it would be quite convenient to get just one layer.

Edited by Petri

Thanks for the input. After some trial and error I've had success using the WGR and layer linking. However, there is one issue I'd like to resolve.

For the sake of simplicity I have two files: 1) building model file with the origin set at (0,0). 2) Site model file with real-world coordinates, (which is important because I need to import survey info directly into this model/file as it becomes available.) The issue I am having is happening when I have created the WGR with "ignore user source origin" selected.

What is happening is that I create the WGR in the site model file, select "ignore user source origin", and select "create layer link on.." The WGR is placed at (0,0) in the site model file. I then drag all of the objects that are in the WGR and place them in their real-world location. However, when the WGR is updated all objects on the non layer link layers are back at the building model origin, (0,0). The layer link remains in it's real-world location, (where it was placed before updating the WGR), so I'm halfway there.

What I want to do is have all objects on all layers of the WGR remain where I have placed them when the WGR is updated. Is the "ignore user source origin" option only apply to layer links? Shouldn't all of the layers of a WGR remain where they are placed if "ignore source user origin" is selected?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Michael, what are you trying to acheive here? Placing a model of your building on the site? If this is the case, create your WGR and a layer-link of the referenced layer(s) on your site model layer. Unlock the layer link(s), group them (for convenience) and drag them to register as desired on the site model layer. Do not mess with anything on the referenced layers, as it will be overwritten when you update your reference.

Michael, you?re ? way there but you need to understand about WGR and layer linking.

Leave the WGR layers alone. Do not edit nor move information in a WGR layer. any changes you make will be deleted when you update the WGR.

Move the layer link on the site plan. Move the layer link to sit on the site in the correct place. Rotate it to sit on the site plan where you want it. When you update your WGR the layer links will update as well.