Possibly noobish questions, be warned

Hi folks, long time Mac Vectorworks user, fully updated newest version.

Some of the problems I'm having currently are as follow:

1. Trying to import sketchup files, I choose sketchup from the import menu and the program goes back to the design layer with no menu or error notice. I tried to install the sketchup import program and the installer says that I don't need to install it.

2. Why does the line weight whenever I grab a new circle, polyline, ect always defaults to solid white fill with .05 line weight? I've tried to changing it by selecting the black arrow, selecting the line weight/fill/color I want, and it still continues to default to this. I've had simular problems with other things like call outs - they all seem to be stuck at one particular setting and I have to reset them each individually (a huge time suck).

I'm hoping these are noobish questions easily fixed. Thanks.

Lawrence

Hi, it's me again. The situation now. I opened a new vectorworks file, inserted a .bmp file, traced some stuff over it, resized it, then deleted the .bmp file, then pasted in some work from another vectorworks file (that had plants from the planting tool). Now when I try to insert a new plant into the plan the program prompts me for a symbol, size, ect., but doesn't show the plant afterwards or give me the ability to edit the placing format. Every other tool seems to be working but this. What am I doing wrong here?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Is your Mac an Intel Mac? The SketchUp plug-in only currently works as a G5 app, thanks to Google not yet updating their library to be a universal binary. You can do "Get Info" on the VectorWorks app and force it to run under Rosetta for long enough to import your document, then switch it back (for performance) when you're done.

2. Why does the line weight whenever I grab a new circle, polyline, ect always defaults to solid white fill with .05 line weight? I've tried to changing it by selecting the black arrow, selecting the line weight/fill/color I want, and it still continues to default to this. I've had simular problems with other things like call outs - they all seem to be stuck at one particular setting and I have to reset them each individually (a huge time suck).

This is whatever the default attribute palette is set to.

Without anything selected, glance at your Attribute Palette. Whatever colors, line weights, line styles, etc. set here will be the attribute of all newly created objects.

You can change the default by simply changing the colors and anything else in the Attribute palette while nothing is selected. If you change the attributes with something selected, the changes will apply to the selected objects ONLY. Once an object is deselected, the default attributes will go back to whatever the attribute palette is set to during an idle selection.

The other way to set object attributes is through classes. If a class is set to use attributes at creation, the attributes assigned to the class will be inherited by all objects drawn/transferred to a specific class.

You can edit class attributes by going to Tools > Organization, click on the Classes tab, edit a particular class. The "Y" next to a class name indicates the class is using a unique set of attributes for the objects in that particular class.

Hi, it's me again. The situation now. I opened a new vectorworks file, inserted a .bmp file, traced some stuff over it, resized it, then deleted the .bmp file, then pasted in some work from another vectorworks file (that had plants from the planting tool). Now when I try to insert a new plant into the plan the program prompts me for a symbol, size, ect., but doesn't show the plant afterwards or give me the ability to edit the placing format. Every other tool seems to be working but this. What am I doing wrong here?

The class the plants have been inserted into is set to be visible.

Check the class visibilities in the Organization dialog (Tools > Organization) under the Classes tab.

The white diamond indicates the class is invisible, a black diamond indicates the class is visible, and a gray diamond indicates the class is gray.

The other option to look for is Class Options. Under the View > Class Options menu, check to see what setting is selected. If you have "Active Only", then only the objects in the Active class are currently visible.