PIO to avoid having to stack layers

Why does renderworks have the stack layers command. Isn't a given that if I want to see a number of layers in 3d I'd want them to be stacked? Or, is there a reason I may want to have them unstacked? Is there a VS or PIO that makes the toggle automatic, or a setting that would toggle stack layers to 'on'?

Thanks

Simon, The Stack Layers command is just about brand new (in 12.5 I think). As such I think it is a great start and I believe you'll see it mature a lot in future versions. You might want to put your request(s) on the "WishList" portion of this message board. In general NNA pays quite a lot of attention to these (which is not to say you'll have your wish granted immediately, but hey...).

Before, we had Layer Links (in fact we still have 'em and they are quite useful for certain things). Quite sikple to create: 1) create a new design layer, 2) while in the new (blank) layer run the command VIEW>CREATE LAYER LINK (you may need to add it to your workspaceif it's not already there), 3) Choose which layers to place in the link by "contol-clicking", 4) Hit OK. Read more about LL's in the Manual (or Help) then try some. Messege back if you need more info.

I like them for elevations. I usually create two LL's, each with it's own light source ("set sun position") and then create two elev's from each LL. That way I can show realistic shadows. They're also pretty handy for presentations, when I want to use a preset view/custom visibility. Basically anythng for "show & tell". I don't like them when I'm in the design process because all of the data actually exists elsewhere (in the "parent" layer(s)) and I have found that (for me) it's faster to use stack layers (on & off a lot!) to be able to quickly view my whole project in 3d and in context, especially when I'm changing and rearranging...