Clean wall intersections?

I?m perplexed about extraneous lines at wall intersections (in 2D) that sometimes occur no matter what method is used in joining them. I frequently use the quick & dirty command-J to snap two walls together, as well as the join modes. It seems that walls with hatches join better. I most frequently work with simple 4? walls with white fill, so I changed to a wood frame hatch (which is also white), but got the same results. BTW, ?auto join walls? is selected in prefs. What little trick am I missing?

walls.gif

This kind of thing has always frustrated me. In my world evey line means something. Lines that don't mean anything shouldn't be there. Little things like that have kept me from embracing the wall tool for years now. Lately I have experimented a bit more and I think it may have gotten better. It is still at times a frustrating tool.

Here are a couple things to try:

If you are using fills (like solid white), make sure the line weight for the fill is zero.

Also, walls seem to join a little better if you drag one wall well into the other before joining. (like in the 't' you circled at the bottom.)

Try turning end caps off.

Eager to hear from other wall tool experts.

Regards,

Donald

Donald, thank-you. It?s not the method of joining, it?s all about the wall component set-up. The pen weight at 0.00 in the right box seems to be the solution. Even the fainter lines at the intersections (the ones I thought were ?normal?) disappeared.

The wall join tool (with use of the proper join mode) will correctly join and heal the walls.>>

In my experience it does not work as perfectly as the statement suggests it will. Sometimes, even using the proper join mode, I get artifacts I cannot completely resolve.

Amy, let us know if you found it to work the way you want.

Regards,

Donald

If you guys have files demonstrating where the wall join isn't working, please send them over.

I have yet to find a file where the wall join tool fails to work properly.

Katie, the ?hit of miss? nature of wall connections seems to depend on the directions in which the walls are drawn to begin with. In experimenting with various unconnected perpendicular 4? walls (my old white fill as in the example above), I?ve found that both ?command-J? and the wall join ?T? mode succeed and fail about at the same rate. Success seems to depend on the direction in which the wall is originally drawn. That said, getting the fill pen points right to begin with in a ?custom? wall may be the real key, since a simple hatch-filled default wall seems to do better. Am I right, or completely off the wall? :-)

Just the other day I did a quick sketch. Had exactly two types of walls, plain while fill, one component. Half of the T-joins worked, another half didn't. It did not matter which wall types I tried to join. Did not pay attention to direction, though. One shouldn't need to...

Pete, My caps are always set to "none" and the T mode was used. I did discover (on the example above) that moving the offending connecting walls "forward" healed them. So, depending on the *order* in which the walls were drawn would result in an extraneous line. The fainter line goes away if the fill pen weights are set to 0 as Donald suggested.

Amy, "uncapped mode" has nothing to do with wall caps. It is the second option in the wall join tool, toggled by the keyboard shortcut "i". If you are bringing walls forward and backward to get the results you need, then something isn't right. The symptoms you describe are consistent with using the wall join tool in "capped" mode.

Try doing this. Take one of your intersections and eliminate wall breaks (Remove Wall Breaks tool or <shift + 9>). Now activate the Wall Join tool (<alt + 9>). Look at the top of your screen and make sure your "T" is selected. Now look to the right of the T,L,X mode icons and you will see two little wall segments. Click on the one to the left (Uncapped). Now try joining your walls, clicking first on the one that butts into the other.

Thanks for clarification, Pete, but in the example, I used the uncapped join mode and still got the same errant results. I did find, as per Christiaan?s suggestion, that the component join tool (which I?d not been using ??d?oh?) heals the joints at least, regardless of fill pen weight. I?m assuming that proper wall set-up avoids problems to begin with, but unwanted lines can be eliminated fairly easily.

Amy,

The wall style in the file you sent over has a component the same width as the wall. In this case, you don't need a component. To properly join this wall style, it would require using the wall component join to join the outside line of the wall as well as the component inside.

The ideal wall style to use is to delete the component and just use the thickness of the wall. If you need the wall component to display with a specific graphic, you can apply the graphic to the wall style without a component.

Once the component is removed, the wall joins properly with the Wall Join tool and the Join command.

I think that is the confusion perhaps? Many of us use walls to knock up a quick 3D, but I have come across many users who create a component for the wall rather than just applying thickness. This suggests that the interface could do witha minor tweak to make this clear?

Maybe not allow one just component to be the same as the wall thickness? Have a warning pop up that says "for simple solid walls you do not need components"

Or perhaps better, make the interface such that you have to have a component to define the wall thickness? And make the software deal with the wall/component issues unseen by the user?