Please, Floor/Slab ? ...

olly

I have just switched to the architectural version, and try for the first time to set up my model.

I just don't know how to proceed if I want a slab of 250 mm the wall sitting on it and a floor of 125) in every room.

Should I use the AEC/Floor for the slab in the slab layer and create an another floor in the mod-floor layer. I want every furniture to sit on the floor then, not the slab.....

i have never really used the slab layers that much. i tend to draw 'floor' objects on the floor layers, and class them accordingly- if i need it for a model. otherwise, i just put everything on the floor layer. classes are quite powerful. hope this helps...

I agree to have all furniture within the floor layer, where all of your walls, windows, doors, etc... exist. But give those items a class (e.g., 'furniture') Even the plumbing fixtures, cabinetry, appliances, stairs are on the floor layer. I then create a separate slab layer, but its Z layer elevation is below that of the floor by the same dimension as that floors thickness. Then I draw a polygon in the slabs shape desired. Then I extrude (up, positive direction) the floors thickness. This way the floor surface is equal to that of the wall layer. You can layer link these 2 layers to see if it worked and you have a true, accurate model.

All this depends. Personally I prefer "trade" layers, although AIA (whatever that is) names are of no consequence to me.

Nevertheless, usually (but not always), as comes to layers I combine floors/slabs with walls. Together they form the "building shell". Joinery and furniture are a different kettle of fish in my kitchen.

An approach by any other name would smell just as sweet, though.

I dont pay attention to the AIA designations on almost all items.....

I set up a layer for each of the following

slab

footing

floor surfaces

spaces

Floorplan

lower cabinets

plumbing / appliances

upper cabinets, rods & shelves

int. dimensions

ext. dimensions

trusses

and roofs, plus a few others, stacked in the reverse order from this list.

then when I create a viewport and link the required layers, the visibility is correct.

simple and works well for one and two story structures... for more than that it would create to many layers.

Another way to do it is to have separate 2D and 3D layers for each level of the model:

- Site

- Substructure

- Each storey of the building

- Roof

I try to keep it as simple as possible and use Classes to determine what is visible when.

With Stack Layers it is possible to have the 2D and 3D information in the one Layer. You just need to be careful about the stacking order of the different elements. Having most of your 2D information in the annotation part of each Viewport can make life a lot easier.