importing problem

RPMDesign,

I downloaded the bug fixes for LW and double checked the mapping. The mapping is definitely correct, the symbol name field is mapped with the instrument type symbol field going both ways. When I go to my list of instrument types in LW all of the symbols are matched up with the correct instruments, there are no empty fields. But still when I import my instrument data and refresh all of the instruments with the Alt6 x 9 symbol just turn into boxes (but the symbol field in the object info pallet still has the correct symbol listed). Doesn't make any sense to me and I have no idea how it started occurring. Maybe I'm experiencing some sort of glitch with VW that doesn't really have anything to do with the import mapping.

I've tried starting fresh with LW, I opened a brand new file and imported all the data from VW from scratch but when I send it back to VW the same problem occurs with the Alt6 x 9 symbols so it seems that it might have more to do with VW. If I add a new instrument in the VW file of the same Alt6 x 9 type and then do an export and import the same problem occurs with the new instrument I just inserted.

I even tried this; I completed deleted the Alt6 x 9 symbol (and also the Alt4.5 x 6 since it depends on that symbol) from my resources and imported it fresh from the Altman library. I also thought that since the instrument symbol used in my label legend used the Alt6 x 9 symbol that that might be causing the problem so I used a different symbol in the label legend. I then re-assigned the proper symbols to the Alt6 x 9 and Alt4.5 x 6 symbols and did the export and import and encountered the exact same problem.

Edited by Smatticus

Well, you'll be happy to learn that I've confirmed this.

The stock symbol is named 'Alt6 x 9 '

See the problem? No, I didn't either at first. LW strips out the trailing space that is added into the symbol name. The solution is easy - just right click on the symbol in the resource browser, select 'rename' and get rid of the trailing space.

I would imagine that there aren't many users of 360Q's these days to report that the symbol library is wrong.

Rick,

It is unlikely that you will see an solution similar to automated actions and their menu access. This is because vectorscripts cannot call other vectorscripts, and vectorscripts cannot write vectorscripts, so there is no way to store the user assignments AND put those assignments in a menu choice. Spotlight has implemented the most reasonable and possible way to allow for total user freedom in field assignments. I wrote export and import routines that specify those assignments, so that the process would be faster and easier. When I first did this, I was pretty sure that there would be others who would want different match ups, but you're the first one to mention either here or on the Spotlight mailing list that you wish you could have different match ups. I'm sure you have good reasons for your match ups, and I would be very curious as to what those match ups are. Which brings up an interesting possibility. It would take me about an hour to modify export routine and an hour to modify the import routines to match your specifications. How much is it worth to you? Since you can use Spotlight's mapping file method, probably not much. Just a thought.

On an additional note, The AutoPlot Tools for SpotLight automatically export the X coordinate. That's been handy for hanging charts.

Thank you! That did the trick, I wonder why I haven't had this problem before. You're right about the 360Q's, unfortunately the primary ERS we have in the community theater I run is all 360Q's. The design I'm working on now is for a college theater but they still have a pretty significant inventory of 360Q 4.5x6's and 6x9's. Thanks again for the correction!

I finally upgraded to 08 and experienced th eimport problem

REALLY FRUSTRATING !!!

I had no problem with 12.5 and LW :-(

So I got AutoPlot's LW package and it not works fine

EXCEPT

I get a weird file name when I export back out of LW 4.1.7

I got the same file name before I got autoplot.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jim\Desktop\tECH 2 FINALS\TECH 2 FINAL PROJECT lw-LW4 folder\LW4 to SL12

and when i try to save it I get sn error message

"Path does not exsist"

Anybody have an idea what is going on??

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

OK I've got a new one, folks. I've got OSX 10.5.1, VW 12.5.3, and LW 4.1.9. I'm no stranger to the i/o problems between the two and had them all figured out. Now, I've got a new problem. When I import/export between the two, my instrument type field changes to 'Light' whenever I refresh my instruments. Then I have to go through and manually replace their symbols. The instruments remain what they are visually, but in Find and Modify, I cannot search by either instrument type or symbol name, even if I can see them both in the Obj Info box. My Inst Type:Instrument Type looks fine. It seems that one of the two is exchanging the 'instrument type' with 'device type' even though i'm not asking it to. The only change this time: OS 10.5 and VW 12.5.3. I'm definitely going to check out this autoplotvw business, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Well, this time it worked, after I unlinked all the other weirdness, even though the inst type ans symbol name fields are properly linked. I cannot seem to save import mapping files, the program says it's not a valid system file. any thoughts about that?