Roof on 3 Walls

Hi there,

I have recently started using VW 12.5 since switching from AutoCAD a couple months ago.

I am picking it up pretty well, however there are some things I am having problems with.

The 'Creat Roof' tool is handy, but I need to create a single sloping roof on the ground floor extension of a drawing I am doing, but I cannot seem to get the roof to create properly on just 3 walls. Maybe I am approaching it in the wrong way.

How do you model a roof on 3 walls, to meet the rest of the rest of the house from where the extension begins.

Also, Im not sure how many people are familiar with this but I also purchased the Architectural Exchange plug-in for Cinema 4D and cannot understand how to work on the model properly in the two programs, I can model in Cinema 4D no problem, but the question I have is this; How do you texture just parts of certain objects, for example, texture the glass of a window, and the the frame. When I import the model from VW it comes as one whole object, and I guess even if I could get the objects in as seperate items, a window would still act as one.

The same goes for VW, how do you texture just parts of an object.

Any help would be much appreciated, mainly on the roof thing as I havent played around with the Cinema 4D/VW thing too much so I may figure that out myself.

Thanks

Tom

You could create the roof from the 3 walls, setting the desired faces to gable ends.

However, the better approach is to draw the roof shape using the polygon tool, then use "Roof Face" command to create a roof face. Once you use the menu, you'll need to draw a pivot, or fulcrum, line, then identify the slope using the hand picker.

To use textures in VW, you need RenderWorks, for the most part. Do you have RenderWorks?

There are some important criteria to meet when using C4D as the rendering engine. This information should be found in conjunction with the plug-in package from Maxon. Please contact them for further details.

There should be a "VectorWorks Exchange US" pdf in the software package. It explains the basics of the process. If you have Renderworks, you can assign materials before you export to C4D, then use the Material Exchange plug in to replace the VW materials with C4D versions (see pdf).

The VW file is imported as a "container" object. You should be able to expand the hierarchy and see the objects it contains. It is best not to alter the imported VW geometry as a later update from VW will erase these changes. You can add C4d content to the scene outside the "container" object and it will be unaffected by updates from VW.

If the pdf is not present, download the 12.5 Exchange patch from the Maxon website. You should find it in the download.

This is a test render of a VW file imported into C4D:

comp_dining_01.jpg

Ok thanks for all the replies, looks like I will be looking at the roof face tool.

Re the C4D, I found the pdf file which I will have a read through.

I do have RenderWorks, I got Designer 12.5, but I haven't fully explored the texturing side of things in VW as its all very new to me. I am much more familiar with Cinema 4D so I assumed I would be better off importing the untextured model and start texturing in C4D.

Ive just purchased the Architect Training DVD's so Im sure I will be much more familiar having watched them.

Thanks again for the replies.

G_Hannigan, I loved the pic.

I've been thinking of getting 4D for a while now. I've used 3D MAX, but I wanted something that would do a similar rendering job but be able to run natively on my Mac. I was wondering how you find 4D to use - esp with regards to VW exports, and do you have the basic version or have other modules such as the advance render module?

Edited by DDDesign

David,

Thanks. I have the XL version (Advanced Render, MOCCA, Thinking Particles, and Net Render 3-seat). I also have Sketch & Toon and VW Exchange 2. Maxon has reconfigured the what's in each version with R10. Body Paint is now included in R10, Sketch & Toon and VW Exchange are a separate purchases. The C4D interface is pretty intuitive, but unlike VW. I haven't used MAX, but from what I've heard, Cinema is easier.

The VW to Cinema export something like VW Workgroup Referencing in that you don't want to edit the contents of the VW container in Cinema, other than assigning materials (this can be ignored if you don't plan to update from the original VW drawing).

There is a feature called Material Exchange that is used to replace materials assigned in VW with Cinema materials. This requires a little planning - material names must be the same in VW & Cinema. Maxon offers a demo version.

My current avatar is from this image - the stand was done in VW, the monitor & rendering in Cinema:

George workstation.jpg

Edited by G_Hannigan

DD_Design, I used 3DS Max for some time before using Cinema 4D. I switched to Mac and obviously had to find another 3D program, I couldnt get my head around Maya quick enough, but C4D....wow!

I bought the Studio bundle, which includes all the modules, I thought at first I wouldnt need all of them but since purchasing, Im glad I did. For example, the HAIR module....why would I need that......hmmmm client wants furry cushions on a sofa.....easy! Hehe.

C4D is by far the easiest 3D software to use, and everything about it, even the interface is just nice to work with. And Im sure some 3DS Max fans may disagree with me here so *shhh* I personally think the advanced render is capable of some better final renders than 3DS Max. Although some real pro's would be able to achieve better results with one or the other, it's a lot easier to achieve stunning renders in C4D. And the BodyPaint that comes with all the bundles, is awesome for adding little bits here and there, imagine photoshop for 3D.

Here's a quick scene I just set up to show you, not as detailed as the last couple pics posted but all thats done to set the render is checked the GI box. then just a standard render. And a quick pyrocluster on the fireplace.

livingroomdv0.jpg