Pointing Instruments UP!

dslodki

This was posted in another place but I thought I'd repost to publicize it a bit more. Is it true you can't point an instrument up or to the side? I'm doing a rig where we cannot hang any lights overhead, ALL the lighting coming up from the floor and when it comes time to "draw beam" and "lamp on" I'm getting an error saying the vertical angle must be greater than "x,"-basically the focus point can't be above the instrument. That doesn't sound right. In fact that sound so very, very wrong. Can anyone help me out?

In short, yes you can focus a light any which way you want. When you turn the light on and render it (even openGL works fine) your beam will be where you want it. Not so much luck with turning the beam on. My best guess is the alg they use to determine the beam size / location / direction like anything between 0 and 90 . . .

but like i said you can render in any direction you want.

JW . . . what kind of rig are you building where all the lights come from the floor?

Eric is right, you can "render" the beam, but can't turn it on or you get that error-still a little frustrating. I was told by a VW tech that it can't figure the math going into infinity...but why can't they put a limit on that??? I constantly need to check photometric angles from low, front or side positions for fashion shows and no can do...c'mon!