Running Vectorworks with Vista

giodiep

Question

I got a new computer with the New Vista thing. The thing won't let me run Vectorworks 11. I have tried to to the compability in properties tu run as XP. The message I am getting is that the OLE libraries are not the same version.

Did anyone knows how to solve this problem? I understand that VW 12 run with Vista but I can't upgrade right now.

Thanks..

Gio

11 answers to this question

I'm not saying you can't do that - you can do whatever it is that you want. But the technology for VISTA was not available 2+ years ago when VW 11 was developed/released. It's hard to implement compatibility with a technology that has yet to be released.

You seem to feel that VW 12 can be run with Vista. I have 11.5.1..... and I called to upgrade to 12. The rep told me it was not compatible with Vista and that she did not know when it would be. I have a new Dell computer, Vista Premium Ready, so I didn't just upgrade to Vista, if this makes any difference. I have drawings that I need to finish! I am bummed by the idea that I might have to run VW on the old computer until the compatibility issue is resolved.

If you called prior to the start of February, then she gave you valid information. The compatibility with Vista information wasn't released until late January, early February.

Today I discovered that the program was open on my husband's user desktop. Don't know why--- he doesn't use it, I do. So I logged onto my user and after investigating discovered that I cannot open the program using the shortcut, or even the regular button in the program file menu, but there is one that says "open as administrator" and if I use that I can open the program! Wasn't like this using Windows XP and Vectorworks 11. But at least I can open it!