Effects of RAM on rendering time

jeffroyer

I have 2 Gb in my macbook and 3 Gb in my other machine. But I didn?t notice an increase in rendering time, not due solely to the ram anyway. But with all that memory changing applications is quicker.

One thing that did speed up rendering times was having enough free hard drive space. One of my renders was taking over 2gb of HD space, when i only had 2 free. That caused some speed issues.

You will find that your system has better response with more RAM. Meaning you can go work on something else and not have the computer get all chunky on you. Also, as stated above you can do larger and more renderings without having to restart your system to clear the RAM. This is a big drawback of batch rendering. By the time my computer gets to the last rendering on my cue, it's out of memory and stuff takes forever. I wish that wasn't the case.

"without having to restart your system to clear the RAM"

I am rendering single images on a Mac Dual 2 GHz G5 with 2.5 GB RAM. Do I need to restart my computer each time to get the best performance? It renders fine for high polygon count scenes using open GL, but it never finishes the scenes in Renderworks with Shadows, and sometimes not even in Fast Renderworks.

Would it be more likely to finish these renderings with more RAM?

Thanks.

Coburn Bennett

WGBH Educational Foundation

• 1 month later...

Good day all

Iam having a 'lack of memory' and 'out of memory' problem when I do any kind of render in any view on a drawing.

Iam currently running Intel Core 2 CPU, 6600 @ 240GHz, 2.40GHz 1.97GB of RAM and a 80 gb hard drive with 66.8GB free space. I work trough a server with a 186GB hard drive with 174GB free space

My rendertime also has been extremely long(85min) on Final Renderworks renders - which I need to use to view the Gobo textures.

Do I need more RAM?