WorkGroup Reference's (WGR), file access problem

I have just set up a NAS drive for the network. The main drivers for this were for data space, security and sharing.

My problem being when I go to add a WGR in say the 'plan file' on 'workstation A', from another 'section file' on workstation B' I get this message:

-54 No write permission

Attempt to Open File - FSOPEN

On previous setups I have not had this problem.

Current Description of network

-NAS-LaCie ethernet disk mini (XFS file format), with backup external disk LaCie 'daisy-chained' to it via USB (HFS format)

-The ethernet disk has its own share management interface via web browser, no controlling computer required.

-All workstations connect to it with there own user names and passwords. Same share permissions, Read and write.

-All 'Mac OS X' 10.4

I have tried logging on as the same user, to no avail. I have also tried working off the backup drive (HFS format) thinking that the XFS format is causing the problem. But it still maybe as the backup drive is 'daisy-chained' to the XFS formatted NAS disk. I have also tried turning off the firewalls didn't do anything.

Description of previous office A

-Dedicated server with 'Mac OS X Server'

-All workstations connect to it with there own user names and passwords. Same share permissions, Read and write.

-All 'Mac OS X'

No problem.

Description of previous office B

- One workstation dedicated as 'server' ('Mac OS X' only), with external firewire hard disk.

-All workstations connect to it with as the user of the said workstation.

-All 'Mac OS X'

No problem.

I have a theory that the cause of this being that it is not 'Apple' software managing the NAS disk and/or its 'XFS' file format. anyone with any experience on this? thoughts?

Obviously we can work around it being a small firm (2-3 full-time VW users), by adding and updating WGR's when the files are not open, but it is very undesirable.