A question for those with corruption issues

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. But I found I needed one nearby because when the problem arises I can't save to local drive. In my experience the problem is unrelated to either autosave on or to a network server. Everything is local. Seems to be something very basic and I think it is related to the pdf bug I mentioned.

If you missed it. when you export to pdf (quartz only) and you end up with a file and a name .pdf, and you then export again the same file and it tells you there is already a file by that name, and it asks you whether you'd like to replace it, and you say yes....

It doesn't just replace the file. It makes it a 0k file, just like what we experience with our other file corruption issues.

You can try it at home. It's repeatable. Big file, little file, doesn't matter.

So in my opinion the corruption problem is about the way vectorworks writes to files and protects them in the process. The pdf bug is an example of how it is failing to do this properly.

I have a friend who is a very senior programmer at Adobe. He could write you a love letter in 0's and 1's. His ability to find bugs is legendary and I imagine it annoys a lot of people around him.

He says that sometimes they find a nasty bug, and they see it working, and they realize, "there's no way to fix this without re-writing a whole really big chunk of code" and they decide that its better to fix 10 other bugs than that one. I paraphrase, but you get the idea.

Regards,

Donald

We just started to experiance this issue. So when we open a file off the server and it says it's corrupt we save it to the desk top. Then while the first file you opened that says it's corrupt you have to save it again but as a copy to the local desktop and the file will be good.

Just remember the first one that gets save will not be good untill you go under file on the menu bar and tell is to save as a copy.

How this helps.

Waylon

In answer to Christiaan's original question - sometimes, and haven't really noticed any link. (firewire & usb drives)

My file corruption problems have stopped now I have turned autosave off - same as go2greece

I'm also using 12.5.1 65397 like Donald, and yes the problem is definately there

Charlie

This issue seems to be a 12.5.1 problem i have recently updated from 12.5.0 which worked very well but now i am getting some corruption problems as descriped above. I updated all the permisions on my server and the problem seemed to go away but i was wrong its back am thinking of reinstalling 12.5 on all the machines in the office. Has any one got any better solutions

I just switched from an external USB drive to a usb drive hooked up through a new airport n basestation. I just tried opening a file I was working on last week and it is corrupted. 12.5.1, new build. No one has reported any corruption issues yet at the office saving to a tiger server (I'm remote).

After some additional sleuthing, the file became corrupt as soon as it was moved to the airdisk. Each day I work on a file I duplicate the last saved file. In this case, the file was moved, duplicated, opened, and not saved or modified. It became corrupt (not zero length though). VW reports an error on open, says it will try to open with as much data as possible, then crashes.

I recovered from the last good version and have been working with it for the past 90 minutes or so. Autosave is on but only with confirmation and it is not set to a separate backup. VW just reported the corrupt file warning while working and I saved to the desktop. This was a few minutes after the last autosave dialog if I recall correctly.

Edited by aersloat

We had corrupt files with 12.5.1 which disappeared when we threw away the associated back-up files. Any BU files that had been created with 12.5.1 (rev.1) would subsequently generate corruption in 12.5.1 (rev.2). After deletion, this errant behavior ended.

Separately, why is 12.5.1 (rev. 2) not called 12.5.2? The rev. numbers are universally used to distinguish releases, with the first digit indicating a major change including new features, new file formats, etc (such as from VW 11.5 to 12.0), the 2nd digit is increased for changes that do not alter file compatibility, and the 3rd digit for bug fixes. This is why the jump from 12.5 was called 12.5.1. no new features but bug features.

We're off topic here, but the problem is that 12.5.1 rev.2 was a general release version, not a Beta Test. NNA has two different version of 12.5.1 running around in the wild. What was the harm of labeling the rev.2 as 12.5.2, which, beyond the obvious advantages, would have prevented us wasting our time debating dot revision naming conventions.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Peter (go2greece),

- When you were having these problems, were you running 12.5.1.65397?

- When you were having these problems, were you autosaving with or without the backup folder feature? Did you ever try autosaving with the backup feature set the opposite way?

- Do you get the feeling that your FAT32 disk was involved in the problem? Or did in not matter where the files were getting saved?

- When you originally describe this as a "crash/corruption" problem, did crashes always precede your corruptions? Or are the crashes and corruptions (at least potentially) two separate problems?

Thanks for helping us track down these file corruption problems.

Mark Farnan

Core Technologies Manager

Nemetschek NA

Hi Donald,

Regarding the first paragraph of your 2/21 post, are you saying that you get VW file corruptions sometimes (and only sometimes) when you try to save to your local drive, but when you then save that file to an external drive it saves ok? When you do see the corruptions is it notifying you at file save time with the "This file is corrupted on disk..." message?

I can't get your zero K export to PDF problem to happen. Do you still see that problem? Is there any way you can get that problem not to happen, like saving to a different folder or a server or something?

Does any one else see this problem?

Thanks for the extra information.

Mark Farnan

Nemetschek NA

Hi Sarah,

Have you seen any more corruptions since your last post? Do you still think there was something wrong with that one machine? Can you tell me if there was anything different, on the software or hardware side, between that problem machine and the other machines that weren;t hiving the problem?

Thanks for any hints you might be able to give us.

Mark Farnan

Nemetschek NA

Hi Mark,

<<Regarding the first paragraph of your 2/21 post, are you saying that you get VW file corruptions sometimes (and only sometimes) when you try to save to your local drive, but when you then save that file to an external drive it saves ok?>>

Yes, exactly.

<<When you do see the corruptions is it notifying you at file save time with the "This file is corrupted on disk..." message?>>

No, not at file save time. Just out of the blue. I never save without a reminder that requries me to click "ok".

I just tried the pdf test again and I got a zero k file when I said it was ok to replace it with the new file. Did you try this on a machine running 10.3.9?

Regards,

Donald

Hi Charlie,

Were you using the backup folder feature of autosave when you were seeing the corruption problem? Did you ever try autosaving with the backup feature set the opposite way?

When you were seeing the corruptions was it notifying you at file save time with the "This file is corrupted on disk..." message? Or were these corruptions things you didn't see until file open time?

Thanks for any extra info you might be able to provide.

Mark Farnan

Nemetschek NA