2D Reshape Tool

When editing a polygon or polyline using 2D Reshape, one has the option to add vertices by clicking on an existing vertex and "dragging out" a new one. Can someone please tell me how to predict from which side of the existing vertex the new one will spring? I keep hoping I'll discover the magic answer on my own, but have finally relented and am posting here!!

?Thx

So it's not just me!!!!!

I've never been able to control that!

Unfortunately Pete your suggestion doesn't work for me: the resulting new vertex gets placed on whichever segments it feels like. "Approaching the vertex corner from the line..." makes no difference at all: the result is a random selection of either that line segment or the next segment for placing the new vertex.

Can anyone else control this?

I guess I've just gotten used to approaching the vertex from the line I want to add a new vertex. Works for me in 2D and 3D that way...I have my selection radius set to 15 pixels if that makes any difference. I also approach from the outside of an object where I won't make contact with any other line before I dig the vertex.

Pete A.

This is getting interesting Pete,

If I try your thing with a Corner vertex poly line I can get it to work erratically on the opposite line segment. (but not all the time)

If I try it with a Spline vertex polyline it (sort of works) how you describe it.

I tested Mike's Direction theory, but no consistency there either.

Katie, can you tell us what's supposed to happen and how to control these things?

It's at least somewhat reassuring to know I'm not alone. With the exception of Jonathan's, I believe I'd tried all of the suggestions. Trouble is, I'm often zoomed in to the point where the mid-point is way off screen. Should this be posted as a bug or a wish-list item? Or should we just keep super-glue handy to reattach missing hair?