Workspace Editor Problem

When creating a custom workspace with the Workspace Editor in VectorWorks 8.0 and 8.5, I have encountered the problem that tools could not be moved from the Tool List into the new Tool Palette I was creating. The items at the top of the list could be added to the new palette but those further down the alphabetical list refused to be added to the new palette. Occasionally, if I quit VectorWorks and relaunched it some of the tools near the middle of the order would become movable, but those near the end of the list refused to be added to the new palette.

Finally a possible solution dawned on me. I moved all of the Plug-ins, before the items I needed, out of the Plug-ins folder (say all Plug-ins A thru P) and the Workspace Editor immediately began to function for those tools I couldn't move before. When the Workspace was completed, I moved all of the Plug-ins back into the Plug-ins folder and everything work properly.

There is evidently a problem with the large number of Plug-ins in the folder (240+). Either the Workspace Editor, the Operating System (8.6.1) or both can't handle more than a certain number of files.

Any comments from Tech Support?

I have tried to recreate this problem, But, I was unable to get the same results. I tried testing this on both OS 8.6 and 9.0, and in both cases the software worked fine. If you want to you can e-mail me the specs of your computer so that I may create a more accurate test. You can also try running with only base extentions on, to see if it may be an extention conflict

------------------

Shawn Waithe

Diehl Graphsoft inc.

Tech Support Manager

Are all your plug-ins in the same category?

The left hand side of the workspace editor shows tools and menu commands organized into categories. I've seen a case in the past where putting too many items in the same category caused a problem similar to the one you describe. The default category for plug-ins is 'Miscellaneous', but you can set the category for a given plug-in via a button in the Create Plug-in dialog. If you've got several hundred items in the Miscellaneous category, for instance, changing the category for some of them will likely help.

Caleb Strockbine

Macintosh workspace editor guy

caleb@diehlgraphsoft.com