Mitred Molding Corners...

Making the shift to 3D modeling has been a somewhat slow but very rewarding process for me. Maybe the forum could help on a quick question here. Once I have a molding element created, such as a crown piece, how does one go about mitering the corners? In other words, how would I connect and join 2 crown molding extrusions at a right angle? Thanks in advance for any info/advice concerning this.

Steven

www.kenzerfurniture.com

Edited by skfurn

First off I would recommend searching these TechBoards: there have been various threads, bringing up various solutions to this question.

In quick overview, there is Extrude Along Path (my usual solution), with the drawback of sometimes dicey path control. If you wish to work with extant extrudes, I think your option would be Split (and delete)Tool. IMHO, this would be labor-intensive splitting and placing....

You can find other solutions....

I struggled with this same issue until I learned to use the path extrude command from this forum.

In top view I draw a polyline around the base of the wall following the path I want the moulding to take. I convert this polyline to a nurbs curve and then use the 3d move to locate the curve at the bottom or top point of the moulding ? whichever is appropriate. Still in top view I draw the 2d shape of the profile, select it and the path and use the extrude along path tool. The trick then is to use the edit mode to get the profile on the correct position relative to the path. Double click on the extrude and you are given the option to edit the path or the profile. Selecting the profile takes you to a screen with the profile and a ?cross hair? ? the intersection represents the line where the line is perpendicular to the screen. Move the profile relative to that point to position the moulding appropriately. You will not have to worry about creating the mitres this way and it gives you the ability to edit the profile shape later if needed. Make a copy of the profile if you need to use it more than once since the command uses the one you have drawn.

Islandmon's method is the quicest and easiest method. Once you have made the two symbols required for the intrnal and external corners the rest becomes easy. Changes are easy to deal with, unlike with path objects. Once you understand the logic dealing with odd angled corners is also straightforward.

If you don't want the extra lines which will occur in Hidden Line Renders then you can form the corners using extruded lengths and Split at the required angle.