Printing Multiple Files to paper or PDF format

nicolas d

Question

Hi,

I would like to print a whole set of drawings either to paper or pdf without having to go through each file that composes the set. Batch printing and Batch exporting to pdf in VW work with multiple sheets inside one file, not with multiple files. Then in OSX there's the automator but i'm not sure how to integrate OSX scripts into VW.

The only solution I see for now is, given a Drawing Set of, say, 100 files, creating a number of VW files, four for example, that will be used exclusively for printing, to which 25 files will be referenced and sheet layers created for each. Only then VW's Batch functions will be useful for the whole set.

10 answers to this question

What's the point of a one file at a time batch print function?

So you don't have to activate each layer to print it. I find it works great. The PDF export function is good too, which will name the files as you've named the Sheet Layers.

VW markets itself as an ACAD alternative right?

Can Autocad really print without opening a file? I don't know much about Autocad but I'm assuming you're talking about having a print ("plot") file with all your drawings in it. VectorWorks can be set up this way, with Workgroup Referencing; you could set up a file which references all the others and print straight from it without opening the others.

There's also the ability to drop a file on your printer (at least in Mac OS X) and have it automatically print the file, which could be used to print a bunch of separate files or the "plot" file as above.

Thanks for the quick reply Christiaan,

Normally not so quick to switch the flame on. My apologies for throwing a tamtrum. The tech support person at VW sounded like he'd been up for the past 3 days while I'm trying to avoid being up the next 2.

Using WG referencing for batch render / output sounds interesting. I have only used WG referencing to reference 1 file to many not many to one. Obviously it didn't occur to try it for this situation.

I'll be referencing layers with detailed models that are 20 & 30 mb each with lots of lights and textures in each file.

Guess I'll find out if the machine can handle it.

I'll give it a try!

Great idea!

Edited by mark_at_custom
The only solution I see for now is, given a Drawing Set of, say, 100 files, creating a number of VW files, four for example, that will be used exclusively for printing, to which 25 files will be referenced and sheet layers created for each. Only then VW's Batch functions will be useful for the whole set.

This appears to be the case. One printing file would be even better. The necessity can, however, be turned into a virtue: from issue control and overall CAD-management point of view, a "master project file" is not a bad approach: at least you can get an up-to-date drawing register in no time at all.

With 100 or so drawings (been there, done that!) the drawing register usually becomes almost a full time job.

After pestering the Tech Support ppl at VW again, it appears that my [pdf batch export & multiple viewport non-update] problem could be related to a defective workspace or plugin issue. Using a differing workspace or re-installing VW could be the answer. I am now stepping away from the "Caps Lock" button. Thanks!