Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

triangle from three sides

nicolas d

i have to draw a triangle and the information i have is only the dimension of its three sides. i know how to gemotrically solve the problem, and i know how to draft the triangle in verctorworks too, but it involves several steps and i have to draw more than one hundred triangles which will all be different. i'm looking for a way to automate the process, in which i would input the three dimensions and the program would generate the triangle. i don't know how to program vectorscripts. is the only solution to learn how to? would it be a difficult vectorscript problem? any other ideas?

thank you,

Are you using the 3-circle method? (Draw 3 circles, using the 3 dimensions you have as radii of the circles along the positive X-axis. The first two are concentric, the third is centered at the "Center Right" point of the larger of the first two. Then draw a polyline from the first center, to the second, to the intersection of the third circle with the smaller of the first two.) You could draw thousands of triangles that way in less time than it would take to write a script.

3-circles.jpg

i was drawing first the longest line, then two arcs, then the two remaining lines, but this is faster because after the first circle the other two are duplicates, and then the polyline is one step, as opposed to drawing three separate lines.

thanks,

i found a little program that calculates and draws the triangle given three sides, or any three variables, and the resulting drawing can be printed but not to any particular scale. (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/math_science/triangle.html)

• 2 weeks later...