List of problems with VW 8.5.1

Here is a list of problems I have experienced with VW8.5.1. Some date to earlier versions.

1. Occasionally the 3D selector will pop up and I have to go to the view window and select plan view. I don't use 3D.

2. Sometimes a line cut through another object (circle, square) will cause the line and object to disappear.

3. In Custom Dimension, the cursor cannot be placed in edit fields for circle dimensions. Using the return key will walk it through until it arrives in the circle dimension fields.

4. The program frequently freezes. The clock won't tick. Sometimes it restores itself after minutes, sometimes not.

5. The text window of dimensions is frequently to small and clips the text, both on the window and in printing.

6. The video breaks frequently, showing a barberpole set of stripes diagonally across the field. Drawing windows, dialog boxes, and edit fields may be affected. The video is corrupted for other programs as well - Netscape, WP, Spread sheets. Only goes away on reboot. Have not been able to identify bad video driver, extension conflict, or other cause. Problem not seen before VW 8.5.

The problem with the video card has been around since the release of vectorworks. I've tried to get help from tech support, but they are befuddled as well, and don't seem to be getting any results. The problem is definitely video driver. Quick Fix it (albeit temporary) is to go to 256 colors, or turn off quick time. Both are lame.

I have also encountered a problem when inserting PIO windows and doors. If I change the PIO option to insert on a class other than the given (which I think is a great improvement), the object appears behind the wall. Only if I "send the wall to back" will the window/door come up. Has anyone else found this problem? Is there a fix?

(First, due to the structure of this forum it's easier to communicate if different issues are posted as different topics with clear subject lines.)

1. I've never seen the 3D selector appear by itself. Can you identify any steps that you do right before this happens? Without more details it will be very difficult to track this down.

2. Are you using the trim command? (If you have any specific problems that are clearly bugs you can send them to bugsubmit@diehlgraphsoft.com. Include a small test file showing the problem if possible.)

3. I've added this to the buglist.

4. It may appear to freeze if you have undo turned on and it is clearing some large past undo event. After the maximum number of undos has been reached, the oldest one has to be disposed of and it might take some time. Visual cues regarding undo could be better however. If you have spedific repeatable crashes, send a description of the problem to bugsubmit@diehlgraphsoft.com.

5. If you have a simple test file demonstrating this, send it to bugsubmit, including your system info like printer type, printing drivers, Mac or Windows, etc.

6. I believe people have fixed this by searching their system folder for all video extensions for their video card and throwing them away, then reinstalling the video card drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Doing an install without throwing away first might leave some problems.

Move command: It works for me. What is your system configuration? Have you modified your workspace? How is it failing? What version of VW are you using?

PIO: I'm not sure i understand you, but i couldn't duplicate this. Are you creating a symbol instance from a PIO that gets converted to PIO on insert? It worked ok for me using "Dimension" class. Send to back will only help if the window is not correctly inserted into the wall, so is not the best solution - try to figure out why the symbol is not being correctly inserted.

------------------

John Williams

jodawi@diehlgraphsoft.com

We also have the barber-pole fun, and have done so since the release of 8.0.1. The initial version 8.0 release didn't have the same problem.

We have recently upgraded to 8.5.1, and have also updated the ATI drivers with the absolute latest software from the Apple web site - we are STILL having barber-pole (or what we term 'flying carpet') on dragging, moving or scrolling ANYTHING. Also the problem only seems to surface after a period of time (anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours of use), but when it does it acts like a memory leak and ALL other programmes (Filemaker Pro, MS Word, MS Excel, PageMaker, etc.) all have the same problem - corrected only by restarting the machines.

I think going to 256 colours from thousands of colours is working but only time will tell.

Whats the bloody story Diehlgraphsoft?!

Why can't you clever guys/girls work out what in your programme is causing this really annoying and unproductive MAJOR problem???

We can run all day without VectorWorks on, but as soon as it is opened up, everything goes down the barber-pole toilet!

Re: 3D selector appearing. Unfortunately, it seems to appears randomly, like the barber-pole video, after an indeterminate time. I keep watching for some pattern, but have not found one yet.

Re: barber-pole video. I also have VW8.5.1 installed on a Mac 6115 with a G3 accelerator. The video also breaks, but only around the edges, not the main dwg window. Since the video drivers have got to be different, the different response makes sense. It also indicates VW is overwriting something in the video driver area.

I have also experienced memory problems on a Mac G-3. I now use Vectorworks 8.5 on a P.C. and had experienced similar problems until I installed a program that manages physical RAM, a program called Mem Turbo. Since using Mem Turbo I have not experienced any problems. I'm not aware of a similar program for Macs but it may be worth looking into. With any luck OSX will solve all of these programs. I am glad that this forum is now available as now I know I'm not the only one who has had problems like this.

I have found and reported a problem with VW 8.5.1, which is that the float objects command in the DTM menus gives very strange results, most of the symbols do not float to the correct level

The solution is to use VW 8.0.1 to do this task and then open the document in 8.5.1 again.

this works on Mac and PC

Re: Barber-pole video. I tried the 256 color setup and the video still broke, but differently. No barber-pole, but the tick marks on the XY scales became double thickness. During a screen refresh, the thing would disappear, only to reappear later. Since it doesn't destroy the window information, it is much more usable.