Importing PDF

I just read the new eDispatch where Sean Flaherty writes something about their collaboration with Adobe. He's writing about the strategy of that partnership to make pdf a more commonly used format. My question is then, why is the import pdf function disabled for us VW Fundamental 12.5 users? That's a bad start, I think. Maybe in an update? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Peter

Having just gone to have a play with this... it's not that useful as it doesn't import as vector data, it works like importing a JPG or whatever. Better than nothing I guess.

If you were looking to import vector data then pdf-illustrator-dwg-vecorworks would be a workround.

I doubt there will ever be much pressure to make pdfs importable. part of their appeal is that they cannot be scaled, messed with or edited (easily)

part of their appeal is that they cannot be scaled, messed with or edited (easily)

True, but that could be prevented with a password, or not? I agree with Christiaan, that it would be a perfect standard. Also converting through Illustrator is nice, but not everything will be converted perfectly and you need to buy the software as well. Thanks anyway! Maybe there will be a reaction from Nemetschek.

Regards,

Peter

There are other tools for turning a PDF's vector data to dwg. I don't know how good they are.

Really the question about 'protecting' the integrity of the drawing is one of ethics and liabilities. You do keep records of the drawings you release don't you?

I would be more concerned about getting a dwg from a consultant and then having some inaccuracy because, say for instance, a proxy object didn't draw.

From a software point of view, exchange of drawings is about fidelity and pdf promises that to a degree we don't currently have. The possibility of someone altering my drawing is about ethics and I don't see ethical concerns being addressed in software - ever.

I have been critical of Pdfs recently as for me the quality of Export Pdf has not been good. I have noticed though Adobe Reader 7 (and 8 is out now) seems to have improved quality really well.

I agree with Christiaan; if in the future we can use them to import export vector data - great - bring it on.

For the present given IMO the quality has improved it is so much easier to email a Pdf if on the other end all they want to do is print and view. I am using them more and more - just makes things easier.