Editable Worksheets

I would love to! But I have to scrape just to buy enough seats of VW/SL. If I have to choose between buying one or the other, I choose VW. LW is an amazingly powerful piece of software. Frankly I don't need that power. All I need is to have editable ws's sort by two columns (that and my thermos!) VW/SL is *so* close. *So* close.

I just bought one copy under my name and have it on one computer in class. I require that they do at least one project each semester with LW. As long as it is on only one computer and it is for educational purposes - not illegal.

With the auto functions back and forth isn't too time consuming. I always, when doing a show, make the plot the final resident of latest update info. Only when I produce the final plot do I do a LW file and save it. That way no confusion about which version is the mosy current.

What shows don't need paperwork??

Does VW error check ?.

How easy is it to get a customized color order in VW (6.25", separate from 7.5", separate from 10").

How about a console patch sheet (I export from LW direct to the Express Off-Line editor, you can do this as well in VW).

I can think of a good many things that LW does much, much better then VW, which is why I suspect that VW isn't trying real hard to correct the worksheets and is the reason so many people use both.

FWIW, I use a basic rep plot and when I start a new show, I start in VW, only adding basic info, then export to LW, merging the file into a corresponding LW file, this way I don't have to re-invent the wheel by filling in all the LW basic stuff (dimming system, frame sizes). I then flesh out the LW file, Ch's, colors, purpose, temps, etc... exporting to VW. If I need to add anything, I do so in VW and export ONLY those new units/accessories etc... as a data-in to LW, where it adds it to the existing file. LW does a much better job of counting stuff, creating paperwork tailored to the purpose, etc...

To me, the import/export process is painless and keeps both files the same.

Steve Bailey

Brooklyn College

I also think VW is not trying to replace LW. They have said for years that the paperwork is a basic function and that they are not in the business of providing a paperwork program. That is also why they have embedded export and import functions to LW in VW, to make it easy to use LW.

The thing is, is that it would be such a simple thing to add two column sorting. The people that would use this, probably wouldn't use LW in the first place, so NNA wouldn't be taking food out of anybody's mouth anyways. I use LW on my bigger plots, but on some plots, using LW is like killing a fly with a 50# sledge.

JT, you have made it abundantly clear that that you use LW only. That's great...god bless ya! But there are others that don't need it's power, nor can afford it. This is a gap that NNA can fill!

Well for me, it is not that I want VW to develop a paperwork solution, but I do have to agree with Pat, that it should be a simple fix to be able to sort by two different column sorting. Excel sorts by three. And to agree with Jim, I do not think VW should try to take out John & LW. I speak with John on occasion and I think his product is great. I make suggestions for future releases, and everyone who can should own & use it.

Drew

Drew,

No matter what VW does LW will still be the industry standard. Companies should do what they know best and those who try to do too many things get into trouble. Just look a GM and other corps that tried to get into other fields.

VW will always be the best CAD program and LW the best paperwork program.

As the say, each to their own, and I think VW is of this view.

I don't know the issue of sorting,etc, so I don't know what it means to the programmers to make the changes, and what resourses it would take away from the core development.

Excel just does spreadsheets so it isn't surprising that they have more functionality in their spreadsheets - their core business.

Doesn't VW export to Excel?? Wouldn't that solve the problem of sorting?

Pat,

I agree that LW is not always needed. I have used other methods for paperwork - starting back with Mini-Cad and Excel :-)

I worked with Mini-Cad in the 90's providing input on what was needed for a lighting CAD program. Back then I lobbied for a paperwork program that was more flexable and useable - but Frank Brault and the others kept saying they were in the CAD business and not paperwork, so I started using LW and haven't even looked at the VW paperwork since then.

Maybe they will/are changing their minds about developing the paperwork programs.

Kevin want to weight in on this???

Jim

I do a lot of shows. Some big some small, and I use LW all the time. But I feel it's mostly a one way street. Yes you can send data back and forth, with changes, but I've found that working on shows that have upwards of a 1000 instruments that data exchange can get complicated.

So essentially I export once, and make all my changes in LW

If the work sheet could sort with multiple factors, say by position then by instrument #, or by circuit name then circuit # I'd make use of it.

The reason I'd want to use the worksheet over LW is that the worksheet is embedded in the program and there is less chance of data corruption or error. But since I can't get it to sort in a way that is usable for me I don't bother with it.