2d image fills

simtav

Images have both dpi & scalability:

Worst case is a hi-res dpi set at an unnecessarily small scale.

Best case is a an image with low-res dpi and mapped at a the largest possible scale.

Best to use a resolution matched to your desired out-put specs.

For example, avoid a 1200 dpi image for output to a 500dpi plotter.

The correct dpi requires matching of the scale to the output.

This is a fractal problem. A 100x100 area fills evenly with a 10x10 image or 1x1 or any other whole divisor ...

use the largest possible divisor at the lowest out-put resolution.

After a little trial & error, an efficient image fill with the correct look & feel can be created.

If , however, the image doesn't work out then use more efficient hatches.

For example, avoid a 1200 dpi image for output to a 500dpi plotter.

The correct dpi requires matching of the scale to the output.

My understanding is that for each image pixel the CMYK-processing in the printer creates 4 dots. Thus, the maximum image resolution a 1440 dpi printer can print is 360 dpi.

The only way to reduce the size of the image fills is to reduce the size of the image used for the image fill.

How large is the original image (both dpi and literal size in inches) used to create the image fill?

If it's large, is there a way to scale down the image before creating an image fill? This way, you can let VW resize the image, which will reduce the size of the image fill.

Also, if the image file is larger than 300 dpi, you aren't helping yourself any. Anything over 300 is rarely noticeable unless you zoom in really far.

Hi Katie,

I am using the "Ceramic Tile 08 IF-2" image in the "Ceramic Tile IF" image files that came with VW, and allocating the image as fill to a polygon on a 1:100 floor plan (to represent the floor of a bathroom). Is there a way to adjust the dpi of these default image files in the drawing?

It appears that all the image files that came with VW are v.high resoltion when I use them for plans and elevations. Thanks..

thanks islandmon. Would be useful if you could amend the original image files too.

Katie, I am actually using "Tile Stone 3 Large IF" in Libraries/Image Fills/Image Fills_Interior Finishes.mcd An 'edit' option with the ability to adjust the dpi somehow would be ideal...

one further note:

I have managed to set up some of my own images at a lower dpi. On the 1:100 floorplan I use a polygon with the image as fill (to represent a tiled floor for egxample). I then use the 'Fill Image Settings' box to adjust the I and J length to get the right scale of tile. However, the fill keeps defaulting back to some arbitary length value. Is there an easier way to do this? tongue.gif

That image shouldn't have any problems - all the standard VW included image fills are all at a reasonable DPI.

How large is this polygon?

In edit image - hit preview first, then click OK. It's a bug.

OR use the Attribute Mapping tool - that's a little easier to use than figuring the alternate axis calculations.