Wall joining

Arbor

I can't seem to figure out the wall joining thing very well. Here are some pictures of what happens in one of my problem spots:

picture1ys1.png

picture2aa9.png

picture3gk7.png

picture5id2.png

picture7ck0.png

I've tried the X-join, T-join, and L-join modes, but whatever I do, it seems one of the others goes wrong. I'm sure it's just something I'm missing.

Thanks,

Arbor

Arbor,

How are the wall to be joined in the field? It looks as though the upper wall and left wall will share a continuous join and the other two walls will butt join to them...is that correct?

You are trying to do a continuous join with walls containing 3 seperate styles and different positions. Will be difficult in real time.

Whats the application?

Pete A.

Great, someone else with the same problems as our office when joining walls:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=62283

The main problem is that you can't T-join components at the corner of L-joined walls. VectorWorks wants you to come along the wall over half the distance of the wall thickness being joined to before it will let you join the components.

Some of your example junctions could probably be joined effectively (you have to get the sequence correct, and use the component join tool). The only workaround other wise it to trace over top with polygons.

See also:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=62310

It looks like the bottom right walls are exterior with the upper interior walls joining at the intersection. I just did it by drawing them in the desired configuration, T-join the interior walls to get them to butt, then L-joint the exterior walls last. Or draw the interior walls just short and manually click and drag them into place.

Regarding the sink and counter, use a separate counter rather than a Lower Cabinet PIO, the draw a rectangle the size of the sink and Modify/Clip Surface. Delete the rectangle and voila, a hole.

HTH

Christiaan is right, there is no reason that the wall join code can't be rewritten to give clean joints at wall junctions of the next level of complexity. If we can create 2d objects that show the configuration, and extrudes that show it in 3d, the code can be written to create that juncture for wall objects.

I don't think that is the problem Arbor is having. I think in this case it's just not understanding how the current wall join tool works, how to use the various modes, how to click on the intersecting wall first when using the T join mode, etc. To me it looks like Arbor might want three interior corners and one exterior corner, with intersecting and non-aligning corridors and two different interior wall types. But this is the problem with Arbor's question, there's no clarity about what the desired result is.

Arbor, capped mode join would have been better.

The VW wall join and wall component join capability gets some unreasonable criticism in my view. It is a far better capability than that which exists in most programs.

I spent some time with a VW user recently who was dithering about whether to switch to Archicad or not (one of his architects was pushing to switch because she was familiar with Archicad). One of the things that kept him with VW was the fact that you could join wall components in VW to get the correct appearance. The fact that you couldn't do that in Archicad bugged him. I will admit the decision didn't come down to this alone - the overal flexibility and adaptability of VW plus its better 2D capability also helped win the day.

PS - I made the same mistake Pete. Just proves perception is everything.