Huge pdf files in 11.5

HuntlyPO

Question

We are using OSX. We have copied 1 jpeg photo to each 8.5 x 11 page with title blocks. there are 13 pages in all on one VW sheet, three have more than one photo and each photo is about 880kb.

When I save each 8.5 x 11 page as a .pdf file - using the Print menu - I end up with mostly 6.5MB files and larger. Two of the files are in the 350kb range and I cannot find a difference between them and the big ones.

The large files are too big to email. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help,

13 answers to this question

Thanks for taking this on,

The entire VW file is just over 19MB. Within that file are the thirteen 8/5 x 11 drawings that were each saved as separate pdf files.

The drawings each contain 1 - 4 jpg photo(s), each photo is about 800kb.

How do I check the compression of - each drawing? or of the whole file? I'm kind of new to this.

It's tough in this situation since they are all in the same file.

Is the "page" that's generating a larger PDF file also a layer that houses the larger original images?

Take a look at the original images (before importing into VW ) and examine the types of images they are and the file sizes of each. If the larger image files are on the layer layers inside VW, then that would account for the larger PDF files.

Katie,

Thanks for your suggestions. Each of the photos was turned into a .jpg file and none of them is larger than 1.2MB. They each reside on the same layer on each 8.5 x 11 page. I noticed that the files with the 4 photos that were "rotated" were the four small sized files. I may rotate the others 4 times and see if that changes the size of the resulting .pdf file.

Any other ideas?

Kathryn

6.5 MB isn't a big pdf for the info you are stating. The pdf file you are creating is an image-based file which will result in larger files.

Creating an Adobe based PDF will reduce the file size, most likely.

I don't think there's anything that you can really do to make the files any smaller.

Are the original images originally smaller in size (Inches, not DPI) that produce the smaller PDF files than the images in the sections creating the 6.5 mb pdfs?

I'm having the same problem. Made a model and printed to pdf files at a size to fit onto 8 1/2 x 11 and I have these 5 MB pdf files, which, by the way, I notice redraw including ALL of the data in the model, including objects that I cannot see in that particular view. Maybe that has something to do with it? The reduce file size function in Acrobat isn't taking care of it. Thanks.

We finally "rotated" the contents of the two layers on each document. The .pdf files of the rotated documents were in the range 370 - 512 Kb. The .pdf files created prior to rotating were between 5.7 and 31.2Mb. They were all emailed and we've had favorable replies, so they didn't cause any trouble. We don't know why it worked, but it did.

Would switching to 12.5 solve this problem in the future?

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Kathryn

Having had the same problem (tiny images generated a huuuge pdf file) for a while. I tried everything to fix it including rotating images...very unsuccessfully.

Today I gave up Acrobat. Tried a free pdf printer called CutePDF and BANG, it's fixed. With Acrobat, one 180KB JPEG image and some texts resulted a 4MB-PDF file. CutePDF just spit out 400KB file from the same layer. Sometimes cheapies win.