LINEWEIGHT WON'T PRINT

I'm using VW12.5.1 on OS !0.4

On some of the files that I have been working on for a while, some lines of a specific lineweight will stop printing, while others are okay. Has anyone had this problem before? Any explanation as to why this happens and how to prevent it? The only solution I got if I need that lineweight, is to cut and paste into a brand new file.

Hi Katie,

I have quartz imaging off.

I have printed to both ricoh 1018 2027 laser

The lines won't show up on pdf files either.

The problem is corrected when i turn on quartz imaging. So i should have quartz imaging on at all times? I'm not quite sure what the function of "quartz imaging".

Thanks!

Quartz imaging is an OS technology. VectorWorks uses it for a lot of different things. One of the main reasons for implementing Quartz was due to line weight printing concerns.

Before quartz, diagonal lines were printed heavier than horiz. and vert. lines since non-quartz printing uses a square pen rather than a round pen.

If you don't have quartz on, you may notice problems such as what you are experiencing. It's a good idea to leave it on unless having it off creates a problem that puts you worse off. (Rare and unique situations usually)

If you choose to work with quartz off, then you'll need to enable a special printing option so the diagonal lines print as expected. This printing option basically converts your drawing to a bitmap and then prints the bitmap. With this, you loose some quality and crispness. The print process will also take more time to complete.

The printing option is found in the Print dialog box. Click on the third drop down box and select VectorWorks.

Check mark "Rasterize print output"

I wonder if this still works in OS 10.4. I changes square pens to round ones and used to work.

""If you want to return to using the postscript loop you can use the terminal to set a default that will tell the 10.3.x print system to behave similarly to how things used to be in 10.2.x. Be aware that altering this setting may well affect all printer drivers on your system, and it may cause adobe acrobat to fail to print in certain circumstances. So, to make your legacy apps produce postscript, similarly to how they behaved in Jaguar, enter this command at a terminal prompt:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain com.apple.print.apple.pictwpstopdf YES

To return to the default "correct" behavior in Panther enter this command:

defaults write NSGlobalDomain com.apple.print.apple.pictwpstopdf NO"

Perhaps worth trying in a rare or unique situation.

Katie,

The file has become progressively worse. Now "patterns" won't print and more lineweights aren't printing( with quartz off). However, everything prints fine when I cut and paste into a fresh new file ( even with quartz off). what's causing this "deterioration"?

Check mark "Print patterns at on screen resolution" in the print dialog box.

As for everything working correctly in a new file - obviously there's something going on in the original document. It's hard to say without the file.

Send both files - original and working copy - to tech@nemetschek.net along with a detailed description of the problem and a link here.

Please do not send the email directly to me as it will delay the response time.

Edited by Katie