A *very* basic question - layer heights

I'm sure this is a very basic question, but its baffling me. All my business use of VW is in 2D. I recently tried my hand at some 3D plans for a house I'm renovating. I want to show the house in 3D, with the floors properly placed in the Z dimension. I accomplished it using only one layer and simply raising the second and third floor walls, windows, doors, etc., an appropriate amount But is there not a way to get them on separate layers (i.e.: 'Basement", "1st Floor", "2nd Floor", etc.)?

I set up another drawing sheet and created these three layers. I assigned a Z dimension to each layer that relates to the ground plane, and a Delta Z that corresponds to wall height.

When I go to 3D view, the floor plane of each layer is the same and the walls appear to each be the same height above the ground plane.

I have a tick in the 'Link Wall Height to Layer +/-Z" tick box.

Am I missing something?

From what I understand of your question, the program is behaving as it was designed. The layer z height takes effect only when you create a Layer Link. Create a model layer, and in the model layer create links to all your story layers, and then you will see vertical separation.

Alternatively, you could keep your original concept (placing the manually-raised walls on different layers with layer z = 0), and again create layer links in a single model layer.