long launch times

Since upgrading to 12.5, my VW launch times in OSX have become horrendous. VW 11 used to take a few seconds to open, but 12.5 takes about 40 seconds from opening the program, to finally being able to use it (from first to final bounce in the dock.) Is this just my machine, or does everyone have to wait? The delay is the same even if VW is the only program open.

I don't have that long of a launch on either platform.

Do you have alot of library files installed?

What product do you have installed (Arch, Land, Designer, Arch w/ RW, Fundamentals w/ RW, etc.)

What type of hardware do you have in the computer? (Processor, RAM, etc.)

How many other programs are running while VW is launching?

Edited by Katie
I don't have that long of a launch on either platform.

Do you have alot of library files installed?

What product do you have installed (Arch, Land, Designer, Arch w/ RW, Fundamentals w/ RW, etc.)

What type of hardware do you have in the computer? (Processor, RAM, etc.)

How many other programs are running while VW is launching?

W XP Pro SP2, 3.2GH P4, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

VW 12.5.1 Arch/RW, Libraries - default with VW 12 plus a couple from VW 11.

Time quoted is typical load time with no other programs running besides the background junk that loads with windows.

What do you consider a typical load time?

No other programs running.

1.8 MHz G5 iMac, 768 MB RAM.

It happens on both of our machines, one w/ Arch and one w/ Arch & RW. We did a standard install, so whatever libraries are installed, we have. If I temporarily remove all the items from the library folder, the launch times are about the same (+/- 45 secs during the splash screen, and +/- 20 secs after it finds the license name.)

We upgraded from 11.5. Installed 12 from the CD, then allowed the installer to update over the net.

After double clicking the VW icon, the splash screen comes up, and I get a spinning beach ball for 30 to 50 seconds. Then the license information suddenly appears, and then over the next 19 seconds, the program loads. Is the delay due to time spent looking for other users on the network or license?

Thanks

That's your processor cache, any action on your computer will be faster after the first time. If you close VW and use your computer for a while, the time will be longer because the cache is replaced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cache

This may be part of the answer, but the same initial launch test with:

Cinema 4D = 15 seconds

Arch. Desktop = 20 seconds

MS Word = 10 seconds

Altoids post may be part of the reason as well.

Extended lunch is more appealing.