walls & sheetrock

Hi,

I'm designing a kitchen, measuring to studs. I'd like to use stud to stud dimensions and apply sheetrock to walls using wall styles. Do I have to deduce for thickness of sheetrock (1/2") or does the wall style compensate for this? Sounds like a silly question. Also I notice in wall styles there is no style for sheetrock on one side of wall only. Is there a customizable section to do this?

I'm a novice, be gentle!

John

Hi Peter,

Thanks for heads up. Here's another question, if I were to draw walls to my stud to stud measurements, can I add sheetrock to walls afterwards to get final finish measurements. As I see it, if I can't do this, I'll have to calculate thickness of sheetrock in my drawing that may cause some mistakes as some measurements were measured to existing sheetrock and others stud to stud.

Thanks again.

Take care,

John

Hi Robert,

I want to draw to studs as that is how I measure if there is no sheetrock when I'm measuring. I would then like to add sheetrock after all measurements are imputed. I'm assuming this would be easier to do as I would have to recalculate field measurements to include sheetrock to some measurements or not others depending on site conditions.

Since posting last question, I tried playing around with walls. I drew a four sided room with 2x4 studs, 60" square. I then went to OIP and click replace, used my custom wall setup of 2x4 with 1/2" sheetrock on int. only. I then went to measure and I get 59 1/2" measurement. Obviously 1/2" bigger than required.

If I replace with preset 2x4 with 1/2" sr on both sides, I get correct measurement of 59".

Why am I getting 59 1/2" with my wall as opposed to other wall? I"d love to figure this out. BTW, how do others here field measure framed only locations?

Thanks for any help.

John

When you replace one wall style with another you'll typically get the new style on center. This explains the 1/2" discrepancy you've noticed.

I've generally just dimensioned to the critical wall component. Yes you have to do this by "hand" and you might have to zoom in a bit to make sure you're clicking to the correct line, but it's not that difficult; depending on the volume of dimensions you need to create.

Good luck,

jgm I just completed a school project, where I created all the walls as styled walls with components. By code I have critical dimensions to the finished surfaces, which can be sometimes 2 or three layers, (shear material-seismic, gypsum-fire protection, hard surface MDF - because little people like to wreck GWB.)

The framer needs to know where stud face is, so I carefully zoomed in and applied all my dimension to the stud face, which was of course extra work.

I tried doing this two ways:

First I drew the stud walls, then applied an interior wall finish style and an exterior wall finish style. The down side of this method was that I had three walls in order to create one wall assembly. As well you cannot control the lineweight of the outermost left and right side of the wall separately (that would really be nice.)

The second method I tried was to create complete wall assembly styles. The problem I had with this method is that I might have stud framing that runs in line 200' feet down a corridor, but the wall finishes might change at each room along the corridor. Since the wall control points are to the centreline of the entire wall assembly and cannot be set to say the centreline of the stud component,(yes I know you can control how you initially place the wall, I mean later when you may need to move things around.) It can become a real pain in the --- to keep your walls in line.

Robert,

Using my 60" wall example above, how can I get accurate measurements using sheetrock on one side of stud. Travis's point makes sense as it's measured to centerline of whatever style you choose. Am I forced to apply SR to both sides of studs to get accurate interior measurements.

Please by advised, I'm a novice here.

Thanks for helping.

John