Duplicates On Grid - Sometimes?

When drafting (say) panel layouts, I often use the grid to position objects. It is therefore really useful to have any duplicates (function-D) always appear on the grid; then move the duplicate using the arrow keys.

But this doesn't happen reliably.

It only seems to work if the Snap Grid and the Reference Grid are set to the same value. This then means that your drawing is covered blue lines (as the Snap grid is usually quite fine).

It also stops working if zoomed in too far.

Is there any way to force duplicates to always be on-grid?

Many thanks, Graham

I?ve been perplexed by the grid snap at times, too. Like you say, most of the time objects will be in the right place. On the occasions that they aren?t, usually hitting ?command-? (Mac) will snap them right onto the grid (most of the time.) It?s those times when I can?t get an object (or a group of objects) back on the grid without nudging that perplexes me.

Graham, make sure you Offset Duplicates option is turned off in VW Preferences. Then new duplicates are exactly on top of the original; grab it and move it.

Alternatively, use Duplicate Array to place multiple duplicates exactly where you want them in relation to the original.

Good luck,

Travis, thanks.

That does help. With the duplicate not being offset it's now created on the grid; so the Snap and Reference settings don't have to be the same.

I can now increase the Reference Grid setting - much easier on the eyes.

Still curious why the offset wasn't consistent though?

Cheers again, Graham

There's a new preference in VW 12.5 that allows you to use the arrow keys to move an object by a specific distance. You could set that specific distance to the same as your grid, that way the objects would always be moved to places along the grid.