VectorWorks on 64 bit OS

Has anyone been able to run VectorWorks on a 64 bit OS? I placed a call to the tech support line and asked them if VW worked on 64 bit windows XP and was told that it worked. I went and purchased a new computer, and now when I try to open the program it will not even launch. Please tell me I did not waste $$ on the 64 bit os.

Dan

While users have been able to get VW to run in a 64-bit environment, it's not an official supported hardware spec.

If you are running windows, Windows 64 is still a bit clunky. The bulk of problems found while running 64 bit OS is driver support. Many video drivers, and even more printers do not have drivers available to work with 64 bit OS.

If you are using a 32-bit OS with 64-bit hardware, you won't have as many problems since everything (drivers) is funneled through the 32-bit OS - which is widely supported.

The speed advantages of 64-bit hardware are not realized to full capacity when running a 32-bit OS, and even more a 32-bit application. Even with a 64-bit OS, the 32-bit applications will run in a sort of emulated state which will likely slow down more than speed up things.

• 9 months later...

Christiaan, thanks for that link. Though it addresses mainly Mac issues, by generalization the same applies to Windows. What comes through to me is the "clean break" notion. In rewriting programs to conform to 64 bit, all software will be able to part ways with a bunch of accumulated crud. It means some transition headaches, but we've been around long enough to know that we can deal with it. I don't think any of us would like to go back to the 16 bit days of MiniCAD.

Also, it's good news for 64 bit advocates that new Macs by default will be on a 64-bit capable OS.

Katie: I think it is true that 32 bit emulation on Windows x64 systems is slightly faster than execution on a 32 bit OS. The driver problem you talk about has been my most negative experience - plus, there is the problem in the case of older 32 bit software, that would otherwise be able to run on a 64 bit OS, if they have a 16 bit INSTALLER, they can't be installed.

Danteau

I purchased the 64 Bit Window Vista Ultimate due to the fact that VW 2008 SP 1 (NOTE SP 1) can run on it. It is a week old and is running super. VW 2008 I had to purchase as the VW 12.5.2 can not run on Windows Vista Ultimate. VW 2008 is real smooth on this system. Have the Nvidia 8800 GTX video card though.

Only problem I had thus far is the VW 12 files in 3D. When it gets to VW 2008, the 3D snaps Smart Cue option is missing and do not work and is a bit messy as you have no accuracy. But VW Tech is working on it.

Yep, VW 2008 runs real smooth - not one chrash yet on a 284 MB file.

Good luck

Katie,

That is a problem on the beam I sent you - it was in to Tech and they acknowledged the problem. They pased it on to the engineers and said I will get a answer in 2 x working days.

It is a VW 12.5.2 file being taken to VW 2008. Works fine in VW 12.5.2 but not in VW 2008. If I export it back to VW 12.5.2 it works fine again.

Lots of the other 3D parts of the file does not snap in VW 2008.