Spotlight Titleblock

Kevin,

You suggested I:

Look up "Creating a Custom Title Block" in the online help. It will guide you throught the process of creating the title block and show you how to set up the text linked to record for the symbol so the fields in the OIP will work correctly.

Basically you make a symbol of your title block and then use the text linked to record comand to automate the process,

Kevin,

I am confused - there are titleblocks for other VW products - ARCH, ASME - the ASME and ARCH titleblock has a bunch of fields specifically for them

Why do I have to go through 25 steps to create on that will work for LDs???!!!

couldn't you guys just reset the fields in the Spotlight titleblock you offer to reflect whet LDs (USITT) really need?

Show Name

Venue

Designer

Scale

Date

Drawn BY

And maybe 3 open fields for misc stuff

instead of the one you offer now??

and title it USITT???

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

For the release of 12 we wanted to make sure the old title blocks translated to the new title block system, so the Spotlight title block exactly mathches the old title block.

You will see additional spotlight title blocks in a future release, but we are encouracing people to create their own. One of them will conform to the New USITT standards. (If it is ever finalized.)

I have about 6 different title blocks that I use depending on which type of project I am working on, and none of them look anything like the Spotlight title block or anything that I would ship as a default title block.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The new titleblocks will be based on the USITT Standard.

The proposed USITT Standards (pr2-r5) call for the following in the title block:

? Name of the producing organization

? Name of the production

? Name of the venue

? Drawing title

? Drawing number (i.e., ?1 of 4?)

? Predominant scale of the drawing

? Date the plate was drafted

? Designer of the production

? Draftsperson of the drawing

Additional information may include:

? Location of the venue

? Director of the production

? Other members of the production team

? Lighting assistant and/or Master Electrician

? Date and revision number

? Approval of the drawing

? Contact information (telephone and fax numbers,

e-mail addresses)

USITT RP-2 (revision 5), Recommended Practice for Theatrical Lighting Design Graphics is still open for public review and comment. It is available at http://www.usitt.org/standards/UsittRP-2v5.html

God I hope not :-( The title block will be a book and take up 1/2 the page!!!!!!!!!

I know, I reviewed the new standards when they came out, but we all know no one actually follows USITT standards exactly - I was on the Lighting Commission when we were developing the orginal instrument standards in 1991, you know one slash for 6x12, X for 6x16,axial vs radial, etc. I thought then, and now, that it is an exercise in futility to think everyone will change how they draft to the standards, especially with the instrument icons.

Do any of the icons in the new revision look like the CAD ETC instruments? - no - and I for one like how they are in VW and would not suggest changing them to the new?(old) icons?? As I said back then, and now, you look at the key and you know what they are.

I tell my students the information just has to be presented clearly and logically. We all adapt the standards to our own preferences.

I was just wishing for a more representative TB that would cover the basic infomation.

Kevin,

the title block information in the recommended guidlines is a little bit different than you indicated. Not all the info you listed has to be in the title block, and most would use the basic.

4.1 Information contained in the title block

To be placed in the order deemed most important by the lighting designer:

? Name of the producing organization

? Name of the production

? Name of the venue

? Drawing title

? Drawing number (i.e., ?1 of 4?)

? Predominant scale of the drawing

? Date the plate was drafted

? Designer of the production

? Draftsperson of the drawing

For the people who want to create a custom block they can add...

Additional information may include:

? Location of the venue

? Director of the production

? Other members of the production team

? Lighting assistant and/or Master Electrician

? Date and revision number

? Approval of the drawing

jtallen -

Nothing personal, but the lists you and Kevin posted are identical, except Kevin has contact info as the last optional item.

As I mentioned in another thread, making your own TB is pretty easy (rectangles and text). And the way I see it, it's like your signature to a drawing - however fancy you want to make it.

I too have different TB's I use for different situations, and the couple of hours I've spent over the last couple of months making them is nothing compared to the time saved having the TBs as PIOs.

The best way to start would be duplicating one of the existing ones, and then tweak it till you like it. Once you see how that works you'll probably have the confidence to start from scratch.

If it's really too tough, I'll send you mine, and you can start from there.

[ 03-27-2006, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: David Ormsby ]