Editing lighting symbols

Thea

So if I want to edit, say, a MFL par, just using the symbol for something else. Editing the light record info is no problem, however, if I delete the grey letting saying MFL in the instrument itself, when I insert the instrument in the drawing, no info shows up, all the wattage, instrument type etc that I editted is gone from the object info pallet. Is there a way to fix this? I've noticed that if I don't delete the letters, just change them, or even replace them with a space, everything is fine. Kind of wierd.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What version are you using? There was a bug that if a symbol only contained another symbol, the instrument insertion tool thought it was a multi circuit instrument and handled the insertion incorrectly. If you place something else inside of the symbol besides another symbol it should work correctly. The problem has been fixed in the current shipping version.

[ 03-06-2006, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: klinzey ]

Excellent another example of not fixing what's wrong in the current version to promote the user to buy the new one.

Thea use a graphic object of some kind.

I deleted all the letters and put lines in my symbols to match the USITT standards.

However the you will find this specific to the MFL, and 36? as they are identical to the "body symbol" since they have no object in them. The work around for me was to draw a line in the symbol and give it the attributes of "none" in the line weight, and fill.

• 2 weeks later...