install VW in a lab

Jim_Allen

Question

I just got VW12.5 to install in my lab AND of course there are no insrtuctions on the correct process for installing the program on multiple machines. I have done a single install before but not a lab.

i have 9 computers all using one router to access the internet. This is also on a school network.

1) do I just install on every machine?

2) how do i decide which computer gets the dongle?

3) Can I install the program on one computer and use it as a server? I so what do I install on the rest.

4) I also have a HP 800 plotter going on the network at some point. how do I set it up so every computer on the net can use it?

confused.gif

You would think there would be some sort of manual or instructions booklet.

thanks for the help

18 answers to this question

Jim-

There are a few ways of installing a networked copy in a lab, but it all depends on how your netowrk is set up. In the best of circumstances, you do an install on the server and the server will install on all the machines in the lab. Worst case scenario, you install each machine indavidually.

The dongle in the lab that i use is actually on one of the user machines, and it uses the HASP Netowrk dongle License program.

The plotter, if it hooks straight to the network, can probably be installed as a network printer on all the machines, or if you have different user accounts (i dont know what network structure you are using) but you can always set different users to be allowed to use different printers.

Hope this helps. Feel free to give me a call if you need some help with this.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Easiest and fastest solution is to find a DVD drive and copy the entire DVD to another computer on the network or external drive then install it from there.

Other then that, contact NNA customer service. I think they were offering some type of alternative install media.

When you need immediate assistance, the best bet is to contact tech support directly.

We are not always available to answer questions immediately here.

Let's look at the entire situation here.

Do you have red or purple dongles?

Do you have one serial number or a whole bunch of serial numbers?

I have one Serial number C2XUSE.......

I have a red dongle.

i insert the DVD AND the install program opens and I do an install entering the serial number I have.

I try to open the program and it says it need a Hasp HL 2.16 software. I click to install and navigate to the DVD for the install and it says there is no software to install.

i have done this on 2 computers so far with the same results

The red dongle, along with the network dongle software needs to be installed on a server - one that all the computers can recognize.

You should be able to find installation instructions on the back of the black box the CD came with as well as in the Read Me file on the installation disk.

Katie,

there is no information on anything about how to install the software.

before I got your email: Everytime I insert the DVD it opened to the install program. I went to "my computer" and double clicked the DVD and it opened the install program.

After i got your email and knew there were other files on the DVD I tried "my computer and right clicked the DVD and tried "open" and lo and behold there were the install directions, when I printed them out there was the information on what files were on the DVD and how to open the DVD.

Don't know how one would ESP that there were additional files on the DVD.

Now that I have found them.

i have already installed the program on 3 computers, each time I put in the registration and serial number information to complete the install on each computer.

What process do I need to follow now since it is not how the directions say to do it?

To finish installing the software on the remaing computers

to repeat

I have already installed the program on 3 computers, each time I put in the registration and serial number information to complete the install on each computer.

What process do I need to follow now since it is not how the directions say to do it?