Section Viewports

TBrown

I have created a model of a single storey house with a basement, first floor and a gable roof. Each of these are on separate layers. When I generate a side view all the layers appear stacked correctly as they should. If I create a Section Viewport though the layers appear with large spaces in between as if exploded in some way. I have created Section in this manner in the past and have not had this problem. Anyone have a similar experience?

When looking at the layers in a side view, are you using Stack Layers or just changing all 3 layers to a side view?

If you aren't using Stack layers, then I suspect if you do, you'll see the same gaps in that mode, too.

When you are looking at the layers, without Stack Layers on, and switch to a side view, you should see the objects on top of each other, as if in a big pile - not as you would expect in an elevation.

This is due to layer z and delta z values.

To remedy the situation, move the objects back to 0 in z space (you might need to switch to an elevation view and use the move command).

Then, edit the layers so the proper z and delta z values are assigned to each layer.

Once this is done, the layers will appropriately sit on top of each other in Stack Layers, Sections, Viewports, and Layer Links.

TBrown, the key questions are 1) how are you generating the side view you refer to, and 2) do you have different layer z levels for your separate layers. Katie's suggestions should work for you. I haven't noticed any change in the behavior of Section Viewports, if that was the gist of your question.