Creating a 2D plant symbol

AS instructed by VW Help, I opened the Libraries\Defaults\Plants - 2D Symbols\2DPlantSymbols.mcd file and drew a plant symbol (should I set this document to the same scale and units first?). I drew my symbol and selected it. I went to Modify/Create symbol.

Now VW Help says I am supposed to save it to the 'root folder of the resource browser'. But when I click File/Save as..., I am not offered that choice. There is one called pdf resources, but the instructions clearly state not to save it in a folder.

Please advise. I hope this question is not quite so idiotic as my last post blush.gif

If that is what the manual says, it is quite confusing.

You don't save individual symbols, just files they reside in. A new symbol appears in the RB at the top level and then you have the option to move it to a symbol folder.

Don't worry about scales or units. You are always actually working in inches, in 1:1 scale.

Thanks Petri and Jonathan-

I managed to create a simple triangle (that's what I use to represent vines and climbers) and get it into the plant symbol offerings.

What if I drew something in Adobe Illustrator? Or drew a symbol in charcoal on paper than scanned it? That's what I want to try next.

I will probably be purchasing your manual, Jonathan, because the VW help is almost rubbish. I had a trial version of Turbocad 12 for a few weeks and the manual was soooo much clearer to newbies.

Or drew a symbol in charcoal on paper than scanned it? That's what I want to try next.

Some of us have those, too... But in a specific class, so that we can choose whether we show the symbols as "technical" or "sketch". Or somewhere in between.

I don't think you get much added value from Illustrator. Polygons & polylines, gradient fills, mock shadows (again in a class) can be done in VW.