I'm new and (must be) doing something wrong...

AVD

I want to have multiple layers with some layers visible, grayed out, and others invisible.

I can create the layers that I need in the layers organization dialog box; I move the triangle visibility icon to set various layers to visible, gray, or invisible.

Now the fun, objects on a layer with visibility set to gray do not appear gray on the active sheet. The objects simply disappear. I can only see the gray or invisible object when its layer is active. I would think that setting an objects visibility to ?gray? would show the object on other layers, but the object would be gray.

What is going on? Sorry for the newbie question. I've looked through the manuals and searched the forums. Any help is really appreciated.

The triangle icon is not for layer visibility, it refers to a saved view setting. You must click under the column on the left side to place the black dot under your preference. Being new to VW's you need to come to a good understanding of the class structure in VW's. It can be very frustrating to learn the program otherwise as I've found that most problems are class related. Learn to use saved views and you can jump to various work areas with a mouse click.

AVD,

Peters advice is worth every word. You need to step back and try something simple to see how the design layer and class systems work. Design layers are for floor levels and classes contain all object data. Foundation, first floor, second floor and roof are defined by design layers. Each design layer has multiple identical classes so you need to see the logic associated with the structure. And yes...saved views are the way to go when you want to pop around in your project. Once you have defined a set of design layers and classes you like save them as a view then you can go back there any time you wish and all the structure will remain.

Pete A.

Thanks for the tips. I'm a convert from SketchUp! and am slowly figuring out the class vs layer differences.

I only wish I had more than two months to learn VW and complete all of my construction documents before actual construction starts...many drawings to produce before Spring!

I?m glad I figured out how to create detail sheets from my floor plan!

Thanks again,

AVD