Bad object stopping file being opened in AutoCAD

Christiaan

Question

We had a file recently which had an object which was causing AutoCAD not to be able to open the exported DWG file.

After a laborious process of elimination I finally whittled it down to this object.

I've submitted it as a bug, but I've had this problem before and there's got to be a better way of finding such objects than the process of elimination.

14 answers to this question

A group! Hello... Weren't they supposed to become "unnamed blocks" or something?

Can you import the DWG back into VW?

One of the fascinating things about AutoCAD is that it can't always open files it has created itself. I'm fastidious, I'm a perfectionist, I'm a (deleted-before-the-resident-moral-rearmament-delegate-hits) but AutoCAD wins me hands down. (Its hands ON the blanket.)

Do you have anything else to test the thing with? CADintosh? sKetchup?

Yep. On par with AutoCAD as comes to price. Used by many engineers and some architects. Pretty powerful, I understand.

The point here is that if many programs can open your file, there is nothing wrong with it. It could well be a problem with a particular user's AutoCAD installation.

Sent it at same time I started this thread Katie, cheers.

Yep. On par with AutoCAD as comes to price. Used by many engineers and some architects. Pretty powerful, I understand.

Yeah I know what Microstation is, just that we're a Mac-only office (well except for emulation). smile.gif

The point here is that if many programs can open your file, there is nothing wrong with it. It could well be a problem with a particular user's AutoCAD installation.

Except that Katie can't, we can't, and neither could the engineers. So looks very likely that AutoCAD 2006 has a problem with the file, rather than just a user configuration problem. And this being the case, it doesn't matter much if other programs can open such files; we need AutoCAD 2006 users to be able to open them.

And this being the case, it doesn't matter much if other programs can open such files; we need AutoCAD 2006 users to be able to open them.

Well, true - but if AutoCAD 2006 is faulty, maybe the other parties should do something about the situation and not expect you to provide data in a special format even their program can open. Can't they open the files in some earlier version first?

Christiaan,

When I exported a DWG and opened it in recovery mode, the following messages showed while loading the DWG:

Auditing Entities Pass 1

AcDbHatch(32)

Hatch Pattern Too Dense Set Pattern Scale to 1E+001

AcDbHatch(37)

Hatch Pattern Too Dense Set Pattern Scale to 1E+001

It looks like your hatch definition is bad. When I looked at it in Vectorworks, the hatch looked OK, but you were zoomed in 409,600%. When you zoom out to 100%, the hatch becomes...dense. Try changing the hatch pattern scale, and see if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Christiaan, try this.

In your bad-dwg vectorworks file, bring up the hatch editor dialog from your resource browser.

Write down the settings for the Start Point, Repeat, Dash Factor, and Offset...for each level.

Export the drawing as either DXF or DWG.

Now close bad-dwg, and create a new Vectorworks drawing.

Import the DXF or DWG you just exported.

Go look at the ANSI35 hatch in the hatch editor, and compare the settings with what you wrote down.