Temporary activation for tools other than Pan Tool

(or command on a Mac)

Yeah, that's not bad, but you have no control over where you actually zoom to.

What I had in mind was a key that activated the Zoom In or Out, at which point you could draw a marquee to zoom, and then when you're done with zooming simply release the key you were holding (just as you would with the Space Bar for the Pan Tool).

At the moment all I know of is C and V shortcuts to switch to Zoom In and Out, but then you've got to click something to go back to the tool you were using.

The space bar can be used to toggle other tools that have a key (or combination of keys). Press Space then C (Zoom), the Pan symbol appears when you hit the space bare & is replaced by the magnifying glass. Hold them down, zoom, click & release. You will return to the previous function. The constraint seem to be what you can remember & manual dexterity.

Ray and George are of course correct Spacebar C gives you Zoom In, Spacebar V gives you Zoom Out and it does give you the marquee option you talked about.

The two methods seem to replicate the same two ways the zooming functions work in the main workspace, by marquee in the tool palette and by steps in the little view bar.

Quote "The constraint seem to be what you can remember & manual dexterity." So true George so true.

Alan

Edited by alanmac

Jonathan

I was looking through the manual I have and can find the shortcut keys listed. Am I missing something, are the hotkeys the ones on their own, is there a list somewhere of "hotkeys" or is it a case of looking in the workspace editor, to see them in some way there.

I guess you could do trial and error and note them down.

Alan

I don't know if there is a difference between a hotkey & a shortcut, but the technique above will work with tools that require multiple keys (Alt + 4, Rnd Rect). This is where the manual dexterity comes in.

If you have Smart Cursor Cues enabled, the shortcut will display when you hover the pointer over the tool.

Edited by G_Hannigan
Hold down the space bar, press C to zoom or any others shortcut. When you release the space bar the previous tool will return.

Bingo, thanks Ray and others.

I printed the keyboard short cuts from Help, laminated them back to back and now have something to sit a cup of tea or coffee on

Good idea Darrell. Although I know a lot of advanced tools in VectorWorks, sometimes I'm very lacking in the lower level stuff that's been there for ages, because, well, I haven't been around for ages. wink.gif