oculus window?

Love'm! I saw "Mon Oncle" as a kid and then next time when I was, what, 20-something. Still remembered a good deal.

One of the best treatises on petty bourgeoise tastes and ersatz modernism in architecture. Play Time is of course even more scathing.

---

Anyway, I made a simple round window in roughly 5 minutes. Give me an hour or so and I'll make one that pivots. (Can we animate PIOs?)

Wish I could make one in less than an hour..mon uncle sounds great..unfortunately the round window is an existing condition I must recreate in an old 1800 church ...any other elaborations on your methods would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Michelle

Right. Just draw the window as a "plan", to the level of detail you want, perhaps with document origin as the centre. Then change to front projection and start to extrude things, component by component. Glazing does not need to be extruded, just made into 3D-polygons.

Use circular array to create 24 or 36 3D loci on the perimeter of the frame.

In top projection, move the components to appropriate positions in relation to each other. Then draw also a simple 2D-representation on top of the 3D. Select all, say "let there be a symbol" and Bob's your uncle.

OK. Let's continue. As comes to the 3D loci, they are not mandatory, only useful. You can for instance make the opening smaller than the frame. Or larger. I find it a good "standard procedure" with odd shapes.

Michelle tells me that she also needs a splayed opening - fair enough - so this is how I would do it. Probably this is not the best way, but at least it works. (Or should work - I haven't tested the theory...)

We need a symbol that has a segment of the wall and the oculus window.

Unfortunately, the wall cannot (as far as I know) be a wall but rather a "solid", with a 2D component that looks like the wall in which we are inserting the window. In 3D this is handled automatically, but not in 2D.

Draw two adjacent rectangles so that their combined "thickness" is the same as that of the wall. Extrude each separately. These two will be the wall. It is a good idea to extrude them by their "width" so that they are "square" in front projection.

Go into the 3D-part of the window symbol we created in our last exciting episode and get (copy) the polyline from the extrusion representing the frame. Exit.

Paste the polyline and draw a circle with the same radius. (If you know the radius you can skip the go & copy -part.) Duplicate it. Change to Front projection.

Extrude one copy by the thickness from inside of the frame to the outer surface of the wall (+ a few millimetres to be safe). Offset the other - as a copy - outwards by the splay dimension. Select original & offset copy and multiple extrude them by the dimension from frame to the inner surface of the wall (ditto); the value may need to be negative. (The result is a section of a cone.) These two will be the wall opening.

Still in Front view, align the "wall" extrusions and "opening" extrusions by centre.

In Top view, align the centres of the openings with their designated "walls".

Select a "wall" and an "opening" and say "Subtract Solid". Repeat for the other pair. Apply fills, colours, textures etc. as appropriate. One of the reasons for two components is to be able to emulate left/right textures of walls.

Place the Oculus symbol in the opening of the outer component and make sure it is in the correct z-level.

In Plan view, draw polygons to represent the wall segments (& splay) around the window in 2D; obviously you don't want lines (wall caps) to the "ends".

Select all and say again "Let there be a symbol" and Bob's your godfather, too. The wall options for this symbol should be "full break, no caps".

If something has gone wrong, you can "enter" the symbol definition and from that the solids, from those the extrusions, from those the rectangles & circles. The great thing about VW's solid operations is that they are "true" "Booleans", ie. the operation chain is retained and can be reconfigured. (The Cult of ArchiCAD is well and truly envious for this.)

EDIT

Now I realise why I like the 3D loci! They are independent from the 3D-conversion resolution. If I have 360 loci around the Oculus, the opening polygon will always be created with 1? intervals, so the representation does not depend on user's settings.

Edited by Petri