Vectorworks 12.5 - 3d modeling

Tony, this is quite interesting. I don't use those tool much so I hadn't noticed it before. This might be a bug or it might be the (who knows why?) intended behavior. But I can see how it would cause problems. One workaround might be to create your extruded poly's from the 'ground up'. Just draw the shape in plan (or the appropriate) view and then use the "extrude" command.

Edited by CipesDesign

I have drawn dozens of 3d models in VW10 using exactly the technique you describe and without any problems. I recently upgraded to 12.5 and when i draw a 2d polygon shape in plan then use the 3d extrude tool it always makes a mesh. This is most frustrating and does not happen when the extrude rectangle tool is used. I have checked it over and over and with substantial experience in using extruded polygons i am convinced that I am not making an error.

Polygons

Create: 2d polygon

On the Menu bar:

Model menu>Extrude>Extrusion ht.

Result=Extrude (not a mesh)

The "Extruded Polygon Tool" will create a mesh.

"when i draw a 2d polygon shape in plan then use the 3d extrude tool"

Are you using a 2d polygon as a guide to use the Extruded Polygon Tool in a plan view? This will create a mesh. If you follow the above & extrude the 2d poly, you'll get an extrude.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Well, it all depends upon where you snap onto using the extruded retangle tool and extruded polygon tool - both tools can create mesh objects in certain situation especially when you snap onto objects that are at different z heights.