Layer scale issues.................

tgm

Here is an interesting problem that just occured this morning on a new file.

Established Design Layer 1 with scale set at 1:24.

Finished drawing on this layer and decided I needed a larger detail layer to go with it.

Set up new Design Layer 2 with a scale of 1:8.

When I went back to the drawing I have Layer Options set to 'Gray Others'. Low and behold, Layer 1 was now at Layer 2's scale and grayed out.

Why is layer scale not 'sticking' with the layer?

I have been working with layers in VW for the last 18 yrs and have never encountered anything like this.

Anyone have any thoughts???

Thanks,

Tom in PA

Tom, Not sure, but I have a couple questions: 1) What happens with layers set to "Active Only"? If you switch from one to the other in this mode (without changing zoom) do they appear to be scaled accurately? 2) Do you have "stack layers" on/off? If so, what happens if you turn it off/on? 3) Why aren't you using Viewports(VP's) ? If you were, you would only need to draw things in the design layer(s) once (and at one scale), then you could create various different VP's, at various different scales (and with different annotations) and never encounter the problem of using different scales in design layers.

Active only brings up the correct layer OK. If I switch layers in this mode it appears OK. If I go to any other option in Layers the scale is incorrect. Layer option 'Show, snap, modify others' is helpful in our situations for drawing layout as we tend to cram a lot in one area sometimes. I have used this same technique for years, albeit maybe not the most efficient, and it has always worked fine.

I will look into using viewports as suggested.

Still appears to be a problem or a user error. Need to find out.

Thanks againg Peter,

Tom in PA

Is the actual scale of the layer changing, or the perspective of object size on the screen is not changing as you would expect it to?

100% zoom looking at a 2x4 object on 1:8 scale does not appear on the screen as a 2x4 object on a 1:24 scale at the same 100% zoom. This is as expected.

Edited by Katie