3D House model

Can you guys put me on the right track with this. I am drawing a 3D model of my house - single storey flat roof on a concrete slab.

I want to draw the slab as I need to show it to later to justify its strength for some later upper storey extensions.

The extrusions of it I am fine with - just the layer set up and how to link it all together for 3D views etc.

I imagine layer for slab, layer for walls and layer for roof - but how do I link them and set up the correct z heights?

Just to clarify (assuming you are new, forgive me if you aren't): Use either Model Setup to set up your model layers and Z-coordinates, or just set up separate layers using right-click in the Info Pallete for Slabs, walls and roofs, giving them the Z coordinate in Tools/Organization (one of several ways). If you draw everything on one layer you could potentially give each object it's own Z-designation (See Peter's comments)but that could lead to chaos in trying to keep track of it all.