VectorWorks 12.5.1

etice

I downloaded the update to VW 12.5. The day after I installed I'm recieving an error message (Failure on Attempt to Open File) and then the program shuts down and I lose information. It does not allow to save. I have it saving at 2 min. and the VW backup file will not open saying that the file is created in an older version and then also gives the same message that caused the problem. I'm losing time repeating the same step over and over. The message appears in short burst and then is fine for a time. I'm not trying to open a new file.

Thank you for your help

Eric

Again, if you are opening the program by double-clicking on the .mcd file and the .mcd extension is mapped to an older version of VW, you will get this message. I don't know whether or not you checked out this possibility. If you could, try to be more precise about the circumstances surrounding the error you encounter.

Are you saying you can open the file and work in the file just fine, then out of the blue you get the message?

If this is the case, how long are you working in the file before the message pops up?

Is the file stored on a network or the local computer?

What happens when you use File>Open to open the file?

Just out of the blue. I could be working the file and will just pop up and I hit ok, I try to save and the program closes most of the time not saving.

I'm not able to tell you that because it is fairly random. I did notice that it sometimes happens when I have multiple files open and I try to go from one file to an other, by going up tp the Window pull down menu. This is just theory and I'm trying to see if it does it again.

The files are stored on a network. To answer your last question, it has done it no matter what.

I've experienced the same issue then etice. I've partially solved by deleting preference file and re-setting up VectorWorks. Partially, becouse it happend again once after some time, but before I wasn't able to work: it happened every 2-5 minutes!

So, I answer your questions with my situation:

Are you saying you can open the file and work in the file just fine, then out of the blue you get the message?

Yes, that's true. After the message it seems to be all right, but after a moment, VectorWorks close with a OS X crash message. If I try to save or save a copy after message, I've immediately the crash, mostly making unreadable the file I was saving.

If this is the case, how long are you working in the file before the message pops up?

from 2 to 5 minutes, not more before rebuilding preferences file. After that it happens once. But I experienced more than one 'little freeze' (some seconds), that was let me think error was coming, but was not.

Is the file stored on a network or the local computer?

On the network in a shared grop folder; the Server is a PowerMac G5 / 1.6Ghz / 1.25Gb ram / 2x160Gb HD in mirror with Mac OS X Server 10.3.9, and OpenDirectory accounts (so preferences and user's home are on the network, too)

What happens when you use File>Open to open the file?

I didn't try before I deleted preferences, and now I'm not in office and so I can't. I can try Wednesday, If you think it will be useful, but if the error don't occur, I'll can't say If it's because I opened the file this way. I think it doesn't matter. I hope to not see the error anymore! It made me lose entry morning...

In other case, is there a way to download 12.5 update? I looked for it, but I didn't find.

I've experienced the same issue then etice.

And another issue, too! mad.gif

I can't make fax from vectorworks 12.5.1 (12.5 and all other programs have no problem) with may HP Photosmart 3310 All-in-One printer. If I try to make a fax printing a page to HP fax, when I select Fax Recipients, I've got a few second freez, after that a Comunication Error and then VectorWorks crash. And this on my home PowerMac G5, with OS 10.4.8 and not networked.

I'm sad: I lost antoher hour becose I made a simple design to ship with fax (and didn't save it). I'll want to go back to 12.5!

I am having a similar problem, sometimes when files are saved they become corrupted, rendering them unopenable. The error message when we try to reopen is:

"Unexpected end of file encountered during file read operation (failure on attempt to open file)"

the file size is reduced down to 4kb, the problem is also apparent for the backup copies.

I was advised to Download 12.5.1 to resolve it, however its just happened again.

We have lost a considerablem amount of work because of this so far.

Thanks

Ian

Katie can explain why the network is important? I have not had a problem getting stuff to open and start working, it's just sometimes the update just ups and quits. I've decided to reinstall 12.0 and upgrade to 12.5 and things seem to be fine so far. I was losing to much time with the 12.5.1 update.

Are you really asking this question? The problem, for me, started when I upgraded to 12.5.1. I have gone back to 12.5 and I have no crashes or error messages. At this point the problem has to be 12.5.1. I'll try it again later but the surprise shut downs are not good when your trying to get stuff done.