Widescreen Monitor

What platform are you using, MAC or PC? On a Mac it's very easy to set up two monitors. You can make the window any size you want (by stretching) and place it on either monitor. You can also choose which monitor you pulldown menus will be on, and you can drag VW's tool palettes from one to the other. Not sure about PC's, I dont use them...

Does it elongate (sideways)?

No.

Can you have a greater screen area and more menus down the sides?

Yes, but the number of pixels is more important than the aspect ratio.

Also, what info can you give me on using a number of monitors at the same time?

One large screen is ergonomically better, but costwise you do get very good value from two 20" displays at 1600x1200 each. Two 17" units at 1280x1024 are not bad, either.

EDIT

I note I'm using inches here, but I also talk about "two by fours". They may be "two point seven" high, at "six hundred center to center". See http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/ for more information about units.

Edited by Petri

I just purchased a 32" Widescreen LCD TV, $750 CDN, it can also be used as a computer monitor. 6 years ago a I bought my wife a 15" LCD monitor for Christmas and paid more.

I'm waiting for the day that monitors become the size of drafting boards. Then we can switch to a hybrid type of CAD drafting, with monitors attached to adjustable legs, that can go up, down and tilt. just like the old boards. No more staring straight ahead, sitting in an office chair for hours. It would be nice to be able to stand up, or sit down, just like in the days of yore.

I am considering a widescreen monitor and am interested in what happens to the VW image. Does it elongate (sideways)? Can you have a greater screen area and more menus down the sides? Also, what info can you give me on using a number of monitors at the same time?

Many Thanks

One note about LCD's is that they don't typically look good (particularly with text) unless you run their native resolution. Be sure your video card can run the resolution recommended by the monitor you chose.

Edited by Jodyb17