Roof gutters

Don@Black Dog

Question

18 answers to this question

There would need to be a bit more control over what you get than the fascia currently provides. It would be nice though.

At the moment I draw the profile of the gutter and fascia in 2D and then use extrude along path (you can have both in the same extrude along path). I also model up my barge boards manually as well because I can then get them to look like I want them to. Having path PIOs that provided these capabilities would be a good alternative.

Tip on extrude along path: construct your path at the edge of the roof, and the extruded gutter will appear out of place, but that's okay. Edit the profile, and move it's upper corner to 0,0 in the edit space (or a little below), and it will be correctly positioned. You probably already know this, but others looking at the thread may be interested.

Another tip: you can paste a new profile into the extrusion.

As comes to a specific tool, managing profiles would be quite difficult. Only a small fraction of VW users would benefit from American standard gutters.

Whereas... Downpipes are another pain and they are pretty much similar everywhere (round or square). Connections to gutters vary, but might be parametrically manageable. Spouts: the same.

Now, of course if we would have a Gutter object and a Downpipe object, associated with each other and the roof so that if you, say, make the eaves wider, gutters and downpipes would adjust themselves...

As mentioned previously, using ExtrudeAlongPath just create the inner & outer corners & downspout sections as hybrid-symbols then connect the parts using simple linear extrudes for the gutter runs avoiding any peculiar path alignment problems.

Procedure works perfectly for roof ridges & hips & trims, too.

Wonderful suggestions. I have used the Extrude along path for this, and for roof brackets (historical) and mantles, but while doing so thought it should be part of the roof-making process. I do like Petri's suggestions of parametric downspouts and self-adjusting elements. Regarding the American style gutters, I am sure there are many things that are specific to Ameican or European, or other, markets. Just one of those things needed when addressing different region's requirements.

Thanks again.

How do you paste a new profile on? Just draw it and eye-dropper?

Regarding the American style gutters, I am sure there are many things that are specific to Ameican or European, or other, markets. Just one of those things needed when addressing different region's requirements.

The way NNA wants to address it is that first they make the 70% to pay for what only 30% can use, then they tell the regional distributors to "localise".

Mind you (to continue my Rant For The Day): it would be perfectly possible to make this kind of tools region-independent and allow users to use any profiles they want.

But in an NNA Plug-In such an item (a catalogue of them) would be hard-coded in the plug-in script, which would also be encrypted, thus making it impossible to localise it.

Howdy do!

Wanted to introduce myself, saw techboard.nemetschek.net on a friends site and so far what ive seen I like!

Keep up the good work, and thanks for having me!

See ya later

I need a little help on this,

I am drawing some gutters using "extrude along a path' tool,

I have some gables to my building, then I need to extrude the same profile of gutter to many paths (it's not one continuous path around my building like a facia),

Can we extrude one profile on many paths in one go, using symbols or anything...

I d like to keep the freedom to modifiy my gutter profile after for all the paths in one go (like for any symbols)

What I found so far on the forum is what explain Islandmon here, but it results in creating different symbol and different profile for every path.

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=3&Number=83217&Searchpage=1&Main=18294&Words=path+&topic=0&Search=true#Post83217

any help would be appreciate, cheers !

There ain't no such thing as a single path gutter ; )

The gutter assembly has component parts used to form inner&outer corners, endcaps, drops, and downspouts , and, of course, the pitched gutter runs.

The recommended technique uses symbols for the components and provides for variable ExtrudeAlongPath for the runs.

This really is the proper way to do the guttering and also allows for precise worksheet take-offs with 1/cos pitch-length corrections, too.

This procedure can be easily modified and applied to soffits, fascias, trims, etc.

Even used for 'All-In-One' soffit-fascia-trim-gutter solutions.

I am not sure I understand you Islandmon,

Can you answer this,

Using your technique, you would have probably generated 10 parts (in 10 different paths) of rain pipe, creating 10 different symbol. Then what if you decide to change the profile of the rainpipe from 120 mm diameter to 100mm diameter (for a round gutter).

You need to edit every symbol.....profile....etc

Ok guys lets get back to the subject.

Yes it would be good to have a gutters tool, however I personally think the whole roof tool needs upgrading and extending to a level of the windows tool were you can add and adjust multiple surfaces that represent the different layers in roof construction i.e ceilings, joists, felt, battens and tile etc. Also to have the ability to extend the tile surface beyond other surfaces, add roof-lights with angled flashing's from Velux, lumen and the Roof Light Company, and perhaps a separate tool / library for the gutters, down pipes and drainage. Lindab come to mind for contemporary gutters and down pipes etc.

Can you answer this,

Using your technique, you would have probably generated 10 parts (in 10 different paths) of rain pipe, creating 10 different symbol. Then what if you decide to change the profile of the rainpipe from 120 mm diameter to 100mm diameter (for a round gutter).

You need to edit every symbol.....profile....etc

Indeed, if this was my last VW project and retirement was set to begin tomorrow at 0800hr ...

duplicating those symbols and editing those profiles then replacing those symbols would be a real pain... a total waste of my precious energy.

On the other hand... this would offer an opportunity to add another option to my GutterDetails Library.. build once use many ... so the time would be well spent ; )